Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Blue Creek Traders - Brain Tanned Buckskins  (Read 344 times)

Offline Thunderhawk1828

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting / Contributing Member #181
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 11/05/2019
Blue Creek Traders - Brain Tanned Buckskins
« on: December 06, 2018, 10:31:17 AM »
I am looking for brain tanned buckskin pants and have come across Clint Livingston and Blue Creek Traders out of Lewellen, NE. He has German Brain tanned leather available.

Has anyone had any experience with Blue Creek Traders and / or info in regard to German brain tan?

Thanks.

Thunderhawk1828
TMA Member #181
NRA Life Member
Renewal Date: 11-5-19

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Blue Creek Traders - Brain Tanned Buckskins
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 11:42:59 AM »
Crazy Crow also has German tanned buckskin, I'm not sure if it's actually "brain tanned" though,... as they have the regular and the smoked variety.

The Leather Guy has commercial smoked brain tanned buckskin, that is supposedly tanned with the the same chemicals found in animal brains and then smoked.

Both of the above are more economically priced than real braintan done the old fashioned way.

I use all three,... the German tanned, and the commercial brain tanned, and they are both better than chrome/veg tanned, but lack the exact "looks" of real honest-to-goodness braintan done by hand.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Thunderhawk1828

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 05:47:06 PM »
Rollingb:

thanks for the information. Do you know if they breathe / wear the same as "actual" brain tanned done the old way?

Thanks.

Thunderhawk1828

TMA Member #181
NRA Life Member

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 08:07:54 PM »
Rollingb:

thanks for the information. Do you know if they breathe / wear the same as "actual" brain tanned done the old way?

Thanks.

Thunderhawk1828

Yes,... they're both similar to real braintan as far as wear and breathability goes, but the commercial braintan (from the Leather Guy) is much more "smoked" (IMO), than the german tan I've received from Crazy Crow.

I won't say the german tan isn't pretty good stuff, but my choice for buckskin is rated as,....
1. real smoked braintan
2. commercial smoked braintan
3. smoked german tan
(someone else may switch 2 and 3 around, as this is my personal opinion only :bl th up)

Also BEWARE that,.... lots of sellers on ebay are selling "simulated" braintan, but it doesn't compare favorably to the top 3 (mentioned up above), and their descriptions seem to be (intentionally?) very vague regarding that particular fact.

When I can't get real smoked braintan, I place an order with "The Leather Guy" and get his commercial smoked braintan. :hairy
https://theleatherguy.org/product-category/leather-hides/deer-skin/deer-commercial-brain-tanned/

"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:30:10 PM »
I wonder if this is the guy in Lewellen, NE that use to have Two Dogs Trading Post?  Don't know if it is, but I did (many a long years ago) by a nice Hudson Bay Butcher knife with a antler handle and have been using it at Rendezvous and events for 20+ years.  I know we're talking Buckskins here, but just wanted to mention this since Lewellen, NE came up.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Thunderhawk1828

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 09:01:42 PM »
Appreciate the responses and information Rollinb and Ohio Joe.   

Will look into all suggested and go from there. May even wait untli Rondezvous season ans see what / who I can find there.

Thunderhawk1828
TMA Member #181
NRA Life Member