Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: sights  (Read 773 times)

Offline ken

• TMA Forum Member
sights
« on: August 31, 2008, 09:09:09 PM »
I am starting to make a set of sights for my chunk gun. I was just wondering what type of sights do most of you use for that type of shooting and what type of target to go with your sites.  Round bead / square post and what size?

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 03:29:14 PM »
Ken, you should go with the fixed sight combination that you can see best, then determine the type of spotting target that will work best for you.

Most chunk matches allow a fixed globe over the front sight, though you may run into some matches where a globed front sight is not permitted, nor the use of a shader.

As usual I'm still trying to come up with that perfect spotting target that works for me but I've yet to find it.  I'll keep looking and experimenting. :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline ken

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 05:29:19 PM »
Joe it seems that most go with a post. I am going to try a bead. I made the front sight yesterday. I am hoping to get the action for it this week. Cant wait to get it all together and start shooting.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 09:12:54 PM »
The post is probably the most popular as there is very very little sun deflection off the post, and there should be none if the post is globed.  

Also the post is not as inherent to barrel heat mirage should this
occure during a match on a hot day and your sights are tall.  Otherwise a heat mirage off a heavy barrel chunk gun is not that noticable as a person's rate of fire is not that great.  It exist, but slow firing on a cool day and it's hardly noticable at all.

Good luck! :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska