Traditional Firearms > Cap and Ball Revolvers

Chain-fire in CB revolver?

(1/7) > >>

fistmil:
Anyone ever experience one? For the first few years of CB revolver shooting I used to put Grease (Tompsom Center) over the ball in the cylinder.  I never had a chain-fire . What I did have , especially on a hot summer day, was a greasy mess.

I have a London model 1851 Uberti. The original paper work that came with the revolver said to use a .380 ball. For the past 28 years or so I have loaded with a wonder wad and the tight fitting .380 ball, no grease, and have never had a problem. Is the grease really necessary.  I don't  recall any mention of this practice (grease over the ball) historically

R.M.:
If you use a lubed wad, I don't believe that grease is needed.

FG1:
I think you are more apt to get a chain fire from loose fitting caps on nipples.

Uncle Russ:

--- Quote from: "FG1" ---I think you are more apt to get a chain fire from loose fitting caps on nipples.
--- End quote ---

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

This grease, or "bore butter", or whatever, over the ball is a somewhat modern invention, with this need most likely being brought about by the many cylinder size variances now found among manufacturers......

The original C&B pistols didn't use anything like that, and the original written instructions for loading the originals never mentioned anything about OP wads, or grease over the ball.

A simple .002" / .003" oversize ball that is form fitted by shaving lead from the ball while being seated over the powder, along with a "correct" size nipple and cap being used, provides all the "seal" and protection from chain-fires needed for these guns.

I remember reading years ago about tests being conducted by the NMLRA to intentionally create chain-fire conditions, and if I remember correctly, the wrong size cap was most likely the cause of such chain-fires 99.9% of the time.

FWIW; There is a difference in size between #10 and #11 caps, with the #10 being smaller inside by about .000215 while having a greater inside angle, and they're designed specifically to be used on C&B revolvers.

Most folks use #11 because their rifles use #11's and that's what they have on hand, or they think, or feel the #11 is somehow hotter.
It is not "hotter" in any way, so don't do that....You're inviting nothing but problems by having a larger or loose fitting cap.

Uncle Russ...

Sir William:
I've had one some years ago.  Its my first and only in some 30 years of shooting cap and ball revolvers.  I had a the neighboring chamber go off.

My one experience seems to confirm the previous comments.  After it occured I noticed that several caps had fallen off.   Some of the nipples were of different diameters - so that the caps either fit snug or loose.  After my chain-fire I replaced all the nipples with higher quality ones.

The grease isn't to prevent a chain-fire but to provide some lube and prevent fouling.  I found it major mess, especially on warm days and don't use it in the cylinders anymore, though I still lube the cylinder pin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version