Traditional Firearms > Cap and Ball Revolvers

Questions about BP revolvers...

(1/3) > >>

mustang_steve:
Hey folks, new BP shooter here.

Long story, as a belated birthday gift, my father decided to send me a replica Navy Colt revolver.  I don't know the specifics on it yet, nor what's included....It'll be in my hands this saturday.

I am interested in knowing what would be "period correct" for this firearm though...as far as bullets, powder (or what's the most PC stuff I can buy?), how these were loaded "back then", and I'm interested in the almighty "paper cartridge"

Any advice on where to start?  I have no intent on making any powder either...I'm klutzy enough, no need to tempt fate. :p

jbullard1:
We need to know a few things first, Caliber of revolver and is it a steel or Brass frame. You will need fffg "real" black powder and #10 caps. Roundballs are always correct but we must know the caliber to help more

Bigsmoke:
A few thoughts.
First, welcome here, I think you will enjoy your time talking with all the different folks here.  It is a good group.
Some things to keep in mind.  First, the maximum load the revolver will hold is not necessarily the most accurate.  The most fun, maybe, but not the straightest shooting.  A good rule of thumb is to start developing an accurate load for it, halve the caliber and start there for powder charge.  So, if you have a .36 cal revolver, start at about 18 grains, a .44 caliber start at 22 grains.  Use Fffg black powder.  If you cannot get it locally, there are a number of places you can order it from.  Powder Inc will ship in less than case quantities.  I think there might be a few other places that will also.
Keep an eye on what is happening with the revolver as you shoot it.  If you happen to see one of the percussion caps has been shaken loose and dropped off due to recoil, stop what you are doing and replace it.  No cap on a loaded cylinder is an open door for fire to get into a chamber and ignite a round that you are not intending to shoot.  Especially a problem if that chamber happens to line up with the frame of the pistol.
Another thing you will want to do is provide some lubrication.  This can be in the form of a pre-lubed wonder wad placed between the powder charge and the ball, or some grease placed over the ball.  Some say this will help prevent chain fire, others say is merely keeps fouling soft.  The jury is out on that as it's still an ongoing arguement.
Your most accurate load is going to happen when the ball is seated firmly on the powder charge and it is at the mouth of the chamber.  For shooting a light powder charge, you are going to need a filler of some sort between the powder and the ball.  Corn meal and Creme of Wheat are two things that work well.
More things will come to mind later.

FG1:
Another addition to the above be sure there is no air gap between powder and ball ! Black powder MUST be compressd or terrible things start to happen such as split or bulged cylinder or perhaps worse.
Just be sure theres enough powder in chamber so when ball is seated it is firmly seated on powder charge or wad and ball is firm on charge . No Air Gap !

Hate to see ya soured and possibly injured  

R.M.:
Steve, get back to us when you receive it. Give us ALL the particulars on it, and we'll get you makin smoke in no time.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version