Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

Fine tuning a trigger for accuracy?

(1/7) > >>

melsdad:
What can I do to make my trigger pull smoother, and to lighten it up some. I have a Lyman trade Rifle, I have no idea what the trigger pull poundage is from the factory. I am certain some stoning is involved, but am not sure where to start. Pictures or a tutorial would be great.

Thanks

Sir Michael:
Remove the trigger and the lock and polish the surface of the trigger that moves against the sear and then polish the surface of the sear that the trigger moves against.  That will make it as smooth as possible the trigger pull can only be changed by relocating the trigger pivot point closer to the sear bar.  

You might also want to completely disassemble the lock and polish every surface that is against another metal surface.  If there are any visible wear points polish the part that is making the mark until it doesn't.  Inletting Black is good for finding wear points that haven't made themselves obvious yet.

Hank in WV:
You can lighten the pull by grinding the sear spring a little narrower and thinner. Grind in the direction of the spring and not across it. Be careful and go slow. Then put a high polish on it. Also, do this on the part after the bend.

Pichou:
Hi,

I was told to take the lock out, and try it, then take the sear srping off and try the lock again in your hand.  Also move the trigger with the lock out any of thos things can make it hard you don't want to work on one without knowing about the other things.  But polish is always good  

RichW:

--- Quote from: "Pichou" ---Hi,

I was told to take the lock out, and try it...
--- End quote ---

Who on earth told you that??????
 :rotf  :rotf  :rotf

Oh, I did? :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version