Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

Patches

(1/6) > >>

Gambia:
Ok, I know this has been talked about till the cows come home...but I need to get some answers so I do not make some major Boo-Boo's. After seeing the prices of unlubed patches at market fair, I decided I need to get punch cutters and a micrometer and start buying material by the yard.
The question is; I plan on using the geared end of the mic to measure the material, I need an .018 thickness patch, so,
1. What do I mic the material to in the store so I end up with a .018 patch?
2. Should I wash the material before I use it for patches, to get the sizing out?
3. What kind of material should I look for, Ticking, Denim, Canvas....
4. If I wash the material, will it mic differently after the washing?

OK, that should be enough for now....I am waiting for your responses...As always, Thanks in advance

BEAVERMAN:
Me too! getting tired of spending 3.50 plus for patches

Chairslayer:
I buy pillow ticking at JoAnns fabric, it usually mics between .017 an .020. I use a .525 ball in my .54, slightly coned and I don't use a short starter. Yes wash it to get the sizing out. On a side note, if you tear it into strips for patching, you can save all the strings that come off, and char them just like material. When you make your birds nest for fire starting, you can mix the fibers down into the nest and it will really catch a spark well.

Groundhog:
yup Griz' Chairslayer be right wash it first n get the sizin n starch out...
Forrester (sp) tool used to make a patch cutter... got one back ina box in that room full of valuable junk... pretty hard on the wrist when twisstun ... did not like it all that much.
I prefer pillow tickun for thicker patches and linen for thin ones... take multiple measurements and do the average...  people will look at ya funny while you be measuring.
I think "Friscars" makes a neat cuttin board for cuttin fabric  ya kin cut em square of triangle or any other neat shape but round ...
  NOW ya kin shoot more with the money ya be savin' on de patches.

Ohio Joe:
I agree, the pillow ticking is the way to go.  I buy the blue striped 100% cotton (the heavy stuff) from Wally World and it does vary in thickness (.017 to .020) is what I have found.  For me, I have not noticed a differnce in this variness.

I purchased a 1 1/4" hole punch some years back from McMaster-Carr, and it has served me well cutting those 1.25 patches, and I use them in all my calibers from .40 to .54...  Nice thing about it is you can punch out up to eight or ten at a time and that sure speeds up the process considerably.

I then melt my 1000+ bore butter in the microwave and dip everyother patch (make a stack of 20) then I squeeze out the lube and stick those 20 patches into an empty percussion cap tin, and throw them in my shooting bag for later.

I also spit patch so I cut my ticking into 2" wide x about 20" to 24" long strips then tie one of those strips around my shooting bag strap (up toward my chest) so it's handy to spit patch with during Rondy shoots and just plain ol' plinking outings.  You can just keep one end in your mouth absorbing spit. :bl th up

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version