Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

An Embarassing Question

(1/4) > >>

butterchurn:
I'm a bit embarassed to ask this but.....

Most of my BP shooting has been with tefflon coated patches left over from my NMLRA shooting days.  I want to be traditional and I know I need to used lubes that don't include cookware coating.

Track sells the mink oil lube and I've got some beeswax and olive oil mix sent to me for Christmas from one of our members.  Both seem to be quite solid.  To use do I just rub patches on it and see what rubes off?  Do I make pre-lubed patches by melting the mixture and pouring over patches?

I have shot using Borebutter before by lubing patches with it before each shot.

Now I think I will take my red face and crawl into my corner.

Sir Michael:
Butterchurn, you have just opened a hornet's nest.  There are as many types, kinds, and varieties of patch lube as there are shooters.

Be prepared for the fun to begin.

Personally I use a "Moose Milk" made from the following formula (Beware there are as many definitions of "Moose Milk" as there are folks using it.)

Moose Milk

Castor Oil  -  3 oz
Murphy's Oil Soap  -  1 oz
Witch Hazel  -  4 oz
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%)  -  8 oz
Water (distilled)  -  16 oz

Shake before using and dampen your patches, they shouldn't drip.  You may want to soak them and then let them dry and then re-dampen for better effect.

I am also currently trying out a new lube of 1:5 Ballistal to Water mixture.  It also seems to clean pretty good too.  Once less container of liquid to carry around. :toast  :peace

PS Borebutter is ok.  The best way to use it I've found is make little sandwiches of a dab of borebutter and two patches, stack them up and wrap in saran wrap and microwave for 15-30 seconds or until completely melted.  Store them in a period container and use them until they are gon.

Chairslayer:
Never used mink oil, but the beeswax/olive oil mix I just rub into the material until its lubed up good. Using bore butter I would melt it in microwave and then stuff the patches into the liquid. At the range when I'm doing a lot of shooting, I just use spit.

Groundhog:
spit

rollingb:
I've used spit for target shooting for nearly 40 years,.... and I make my own "bear-oil/bee's-wax" patch lube for hunting ('cause it doesn't dry out).

My patch material is pillow ticking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version