Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Need some help on a holster  (Read 718 times)

Offline Ironwood

• TMA Forum Member
Need some help on a holster
« on: March 14, 2010, 09:18:50 PM »
I know this holster doesn't quite fit our time period but I need some help. 

After I burnished the edges I applied some Fiebing's Edge Kote to almost all the edges.  The last thing I had to make was the strap to hold the skirt to the holster.  I made the strap and starting wetting the strap to shrink it down for a nice snug fit.  I didn't notice while I was doing this the Edge Kote was running like water colors.  I had the stuff all over my hand and all over the holster before I knew what was going on.  I did manage to clean most of it off the holster.

Now here's my question, does anyone know how to get that dang Edge Kote off the holster?  I haven't dyed the holster yet.  It's made of 7-8 oz Veggie Tanned tooling leather and lined with 4-5 oz Veggie Tanned tooling leather.  The strap is also the 4-5 oz.  I'm afraid when I start dying the holster the Edge Kote will run all over the place and really look bad. 
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago!

GO GREEN!   Recycle Congress!

Offline LRB

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:52:51 AM »
Don't know on that one, but next time just burnish, then a few coats of Tandys Super Sheen. It is a clear acrilic, water based, and wears very well.
You might try acetone on the edge coat, or Super Sheen over it to seal it off.

Offline Ironwood

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:51:57 AM »
Thanks LRB.  I'll try the acetone.  There's a lot of sore fingers in all the hand double stitching on that holster.  I'd sure hate to mess it up badly.  I'm still going to have to get it wet to form it to the revolver.  I can just imagine what it will look like if I don't get the Edge Kote off.  

Tandy is where I got the information on using the Edge Kote.  If it was just for my own use there would be no problem, but this is a gift for a friend.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 01:17:53 PM »
Gene, sorry I cant help ya with this one as I have never used edge kote before, maybe Chuck Burrows will see this and chime in
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Ironwood

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 02:57:29 PM »
Well thanks anyway Beaverman.  Fiebing says it's supposed to be "water resistant".  That statement seems to be a bunch baloney!

Offline cb

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.wrtcleather.com
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 06:00:19 PM »
1) first take that bottle of Edge Kote and throw it away - the stuff was originally designed for the edge of shoe soles - it is water resistant when dry.
2) Scrape or sand it off - using Acetone or other items will most likely just spread around and make things worse
3) If you have any stains on the leather get some oxalic acid - sold as wood bleach, follow the directions for mixing and clean your leather with it
4) For finishing edges:
1 - sand smooth
2 - burnish - lightly dampen the edge with water and burnish with a smooth piece of bone, antler, etc or coarse cloth such as canvas
3) Dye the edges with the same dye as the body
4) After dry buff the whole piece with a clean cloth to remove the surface powder resideu that leather dyes leave behind (Fiebings Spirit or Oil Dyes that is) - re-burnish as noted above and then get some Gum Tragacanth - available from any leather supplier - apply two light coats and let dry in between, apply another light coat and when almost dry start burnishing. If you get it on the body no problem, just wipe off - it can in fact be used as a top coat on the body as well.
5) If the edges are still a bit rough - rub down with beeswax and then use a coarse cloth to rub it in - rub hard to get it warm then burnish with a burnish stick

Hope this helps.........
Chuck Burrows aka Grey Wolf

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 08:13:37 PM »
Advice from the Master! thanks Chuck!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Ironwood

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 10:02:20 PM »
Cb, thank you!  :Doh! I don't know why I didn't think about sanding the Edge Kote!  I already sand the edges some before burnishing.  I also do the burnishing like you suggested.  Wet the leather,a piece of canvas and beeswax, with lots of hard rubbing.  I've got your post saved in my "Leather Folder".

Offline cb

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.wrtcleather.com
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 11:52:37 PM »
You're welcome - hope it helps........
Chuck Burrows aka Grey Wolf