Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Powder horn hanging from shooting bag  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Smoke_pole62

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 779
Powder horn hanging from shooting bag
« on: August 16, 2017, 12:13:10 AM »
My son purchased a shooting bag for me and I noticed two holes about 6" up from each side of the bag.
I think this might be to hang your powder horn from. If so is there any preferred methods to fasten the horn other than just some leather lace or thong?

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: Powder horn hanging from shooting bag
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 01:05:33 AM »
My son purchased a shooting bag for me and I noticed two holes about 6" up from each side of the bag.
I think this might be to hang your powder horn from. If so is there any preferred methods to fasten the horn other than just some leather lace or thong?
Small piece of leather, or even sinew, about shoestring size, is what I use.
The most important thing to me is to fasten it so the tip is up, and facing forward.
We do that so the powder won't spill out, even if you loose, misplace, or forget to put the plug back in after loading.
Let's not get into how I learned that... :P

Just a small "tilt" of the tip upward is all that's required.

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 09:05:13 AM »
I never liked the horn attached to the bag strap.  When I'm done pouring my main charge into my measure, I like to put that horn behind my back while the bag to which the measure is attached is still forward of my right hip.  Then when the ball is rammed home and the rod is replaced, the bag goes behind my right elbow, and I can bring the horn back to prime, so that when I finish the prime and have shut the pan, it's very easy and quick to get the horn back behind me so that I can shoot. The holes in my bag strap hold the measure, and the bullet board.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 03:03:37 PM »
with most of this shooting stuff it's all about personal preference.  i prefer a separate strap or cord for the horn.

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 05:38:10 PM »
Mine is horn right....bag left side! :toast
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 08:57:11 PM »
Bag and horn on my right side, with one loose loop of leather at the top center of my bag strap that my horn leather strap runs through loosely. For me it's easy to move when loading, and frankly it's the only way I've ever done it. I agree with Rob and everyone else on how they carry their bag and horn,,, it's a matter of personal preference. Whatever works best for you.  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 02:37:58 PM »
I used to carry my horn connected to my bag but when I outfitted my guns with each their own bag, and I only had one powder horn, I gave my horn its own strap and carry them separately. that way its a quick swap. Of course the next best thing would be to have a different horn for each gun... but I like my one horn so well I just can't seem to pull that trigger.

K

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 12:51:23 AM »
Mine is horn right....bag left side! :toast

Idealy, I'm with you there. But I do have a couple horns that are leftys and just havent replaced them yet so hafta go ambidextrus once in a while :Doh!
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 07:57:32 AM »
Since I wear my bag and horn on the same side, I like havin' the horn tied to the bag,.... bags and horns are like traditional muzzleloaders - IT"S SIMPLY IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE TOO MANY OF"EM.  :hairy :lol sign
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 08:01:19 AM »
i finally have more horns and bags than guns.   :applaud

so i think i'm gonna go back to a horn on each bag!  :applaud :wave

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 08:41:13 AM »
i finally have more horns and bags than guns.   :applaud

so i think i'm gonna go back to a horn on each bag!  :applaud :wave
That sounds like a situation that needs some serious attention.  :lol sign :wave
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 01:44:17 PM »
Amazingly enough, I am down to one flinter and one cap gun.  One bag and one horn for each.  Well, except for all the horns that are hanging on the walls of my office.

Rob, you gotta outfit your bags and horns with more rifles, man.  You do, you really do !!!!!

As far as how I carry things, I wear both the bag and the horn on my left side.  I prefer to attach the horn to the bag strap with the horn hanging above the top of the pouch.  I have a loop on the side of the bag for the short starter, and I prefer to carry the measure in a loop on the strap.  My patch knife is in a scabbard on the back of the bag.  The Tedd Cash pistol capper is carried in a little holster worn on my belt.

Interesting little tidbit here.  When we owned October Country, our standard bag design was the bag was to be worn on the left side with the buckle in back.  In our catalog we mentioned that and said that the bag could be ordered right side carry.  Hardly anyone ever did.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 02:17:36 PM »
Amazingly enough, I am down to one flinter and one cap gun.  One bag and one horn for each.  Well, except for all the horns that are hanging on the walls of my office.

Rob, you gotta outfit your bags and horns with more rifles, man.  You do, you really do !!!!!

As far as how I carry things, I wear both the bag and the horn on my left side.  I prefer to attach the horn to the bag strap with the horn hanging above the top of the pouch.  I have a loop on the side of the bag for the short starter, and I prefer to carry the measure in a loop on the strap.  My patch knife is in a scabbard on the back of the bag.  The Tedd Cash pistol capper is carried in a little holster worn on my belt.

Interesting little tidbit here.  When we owned October Country, our standard bag design was the bag was to be worn on the left side with the buckle in back.  In our catalog we mentioned that and said that the bag could be ordered right side carry.  Hardly anyone ever did.

Another little "tidbit" right here.........
For those who have never seen a "October Country Bag" here is a picture, along with my own .62 smoothie and a couple other items in this composite picture.
If ya look real close in the right-had corner of that bag you'll see a Co-2 Discharger with a Flintlock adapter.
I always carry one just in case one of my friends should need a little help...yep, that's why I have it. :o

The bag has plenty of room for everything from shooting essentials to a change of clothes, IMHO.
The old sayin about "you just never have 'nuff stuff with ya" can be easily cured with this bag, if you're man enough to tote it.
I got both the gun and the bag from Mike Prior a mutual friend of Bigsmoke and myself.

Someone in Mike Prior's family built this .62 but for the life of me I can't remember the name, but I do recall he was family member of Mike Prior and lived / still lives in Othello, WA.

The Buffalo horn in the picture has never been filled with powder! :Doh!

I fully intend to do something about that, as I'm working on another project with my .56 smoothie that will solve this problem of a horn with no home.

Another little bit of "trivia" is the second picture down on the left....A Bag, a Leather 'Powder Pouch', a Ball Board, and a small Patch Knife....many of the really "old timers" here will recognize that picture as I have posted it several times since we were formed as an Association.

This 'outfit' was given to me back in early 1970's by my good friend and old Army Buddy, Steve Bacca, a full blooded Mescalero Apache Indian from the Mescalero Reservation out of Ruidoso, New Mexico, a man that I served with for over 12 years.
The outfit was blessed by the tribal elders and Steve was proud as a Peacock when he gave it to me.
Being around Steve for those years has made me a better person. The world lost a good man in 2002 when the Good Lord took Steve from us.
Even today, it's hard for me to look at that picture without getting choked up.
It spends it's time in a plastic bag tucked away in my shop.
When its my time, that bag is going with me!   

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Smoke_pole62

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 779
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 11:33:31 PM »
 :D
Update on my powder horn carry method. My wife just got an inkle loom so she wants to make a strap for my powder horn. Guess I will see how that works. Maybe she can make me a pair of leg straps\ garters also

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 12:32:01 AM »
Thanks for the photos and the story, Uncle Russ.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 06:11:22 PM by amm1851 »
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe