Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Rev War Powder Horn  (Read 1657 times)

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #833
Rev War Powder Horn
« on: December 09, 2019, 07:59:18 PM »
Project completed: A powder horn to go with my Brown Bess flintlock. (The Brown Bess was the standard issue musket for British troops and also widely used by Continental forces during the Revolutionary War. ) It is a tribute to a bit of local history, detailed below and in the captions. All the shaping and finishing was done by hand. The scrim work was done with knives and ink.

A little background for those who don't know: Fishkill, NY, was home to the Fishkill Supply Depot. Established in 1776 after the Continental Army evacuated NYC, it was THE storehouse and depot for the Army for the duration of the Revolution. Fishkill lay at the crossroads of the Albany Post Road (today's US 9) and a major inland route of communication between New England and those colonies south of NY. Just a few miles from the Husdon River, protected by a 1500 foot high ridge to the west and Wiccopee Pass to the south, the flats just south of the village would be transformed into a military hub of storehouses, barracks, and hospitals. The State Congress met briefly in the Episcopal and Dutch churches before moving on to Kingston. The Marques de Lafayette spent tine recuperating at the Brinkerhoff home, which also hosted visits from George Washington. John Jay also resided nearby. Numerous mills served the area, and the Van Wyck home served as HQ for Washington and the Depot.

Today, much of the Depot has been developed, with more being threatened. The Episcopal and Dutch churches still stand, as does the Brinkerhoff home. The Van Wyck house was spared demolition when I-84 was built and is today home to the Fishkill Historical Society. Sadly, the John Jay house was demolished when IBM built a manufacturing facility in the mid 1980s.

It was customary for soldiers to personalize their horns. They were collected, refilled, and returned, so it was necessary to identify them in some form. It was also common to mark them with where they served, with rhymes, patriotic phrases, maps, or other artwork. My horn does not follow any particular one but takes inspiration from surviving examples. Having grown up in East Fishkill, which was part of Fishkill until the mid 1800s, honoring local history in this manner just seemed appropriate. (There is also a little Masonic symbolism, as some horns from Freemasons are known to have.)

For more history, google Fishkill Supply Depot.

Overview of the horn
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
My real name is on the horn. Why not? My family came over in 1635, and Jeffrey is a period name. I spent my first 22 years in East Fishkill, which was part of the Town of Fishkill until the mid 1800s. The phrase under is from an actual Rev War horn.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
The map depicts the Depot, roads, and several major landmarks. Mount Beacon was used for signal fires, its peak being visible for over 30 miles north and west up the interior of the Hudson Valley. (The Hudson River and Fishkill Landing (now part of the City of Beacon) would be just to the left if the map continued.) The Dutch and Episcopal Churches (on the left and right respectively) are shown, where they still stand to this day, at the crossroads of the east-west road and the Albany Post Road, with the Brinkerhoff home a few miles east on what is today Rte 52, and the John Jay house was just a couple miles further out. The Van Wyck house is there, opposite the Depot (represented by the rectangles.) The south barracks and a set of batteries guarded Wiccopee Pass.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
A little Masonic symbolism. I put it here because it seemed like a good spot, not fully realizing I was placing the Eye of Providence to watch over the Depot. I think Bro. Washington would have approved.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Rev War Powder Horn
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 12:20:27 AM »
That is a very nice horn, and thanks for the interesting info. :shake :toast
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 02:40:36 AM »
What a great horn👍 Thanks for posting as you've done something to honor local history.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 06:18:13 AM »
I like it!!!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Two Steps

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 07:03:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing the horn and the info. :bl th up
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 08:39:21 AM »
 :hairy :hairy :hairy The horn is great. Good work that will go well with the Bess.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Puffer

• TMA: Charter Member #133
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 09:57:19 AM »
 :shake :*:
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 11:37:38 AM »
A perfect blend of National, Local and personal history. Very Impressive .
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 12:04:21 PM »
most excellent, sir!  :bl th up :bl th up  :*:

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 02:54:54 PM »
Thank you all! :yessir: Your words are very encouraging!     :toast This was my first attempt at doing a horn.

All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »
what tool(s) do you use for the scratchings?  do you sand/scrape down the horn first in order to level off the "corn rows" in order to keep a scribe from wandering?

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 06:33:44 PM »
Thank you all! :yessir: Your words are very encouraging!     :toast This was my first attempt at doing a horn.

You did darn good for your first time.  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 06:47:29 PM »
what tool(s) do you use for the scratchings?  do you sand/scrape down the horn first in order to level off the "corn rows" in order to keep a scribe from wandering?
I just held it in my hand, using several hobby kmives, one with the back edge sharpened a bit. I learned to push the double-edged tip into the really hard areas, making a series of elongated stipples, then smooth them out. In the soft areas, the tip of a blade wouldwork fine. Everything was laid out first with an ultra-fine sharpie. The map was drawn on paper to fit the area, then copied.

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 05:50:18 PM »
Now THAT is downright neat, especially for a first time!
I've tried my hand at scratchin on a horn and all I did was ruin the looks of a nice horn, a horn that I worked hard on polishing!  :Doh!

Good job, Jeffrey!

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Eddie Southgate

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 12:57:44 PM »
Very nice work .