Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Smooth rifle question  (Read 1187 times)

Offline trg

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Smooth rifle question
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 01:38:52 PM »
Historicaly some rifle or smoothbores had tgs thatwere held by screws, I often womdered if whether there was any engraving on the tg had an influemce on how they were done, I believe that  some nose caps on early colonial rifles were also held with a screw, if one carefully reads thru RCA1&2 and Kindigs books there are many little details that we have been told either were or were not done in the past. We have a real problem with judging the guns of the past by those that are being built today at times.

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
Quote from: "trg"
. We have a real problem with judging the guns of the past by those that are being built today at times.

?????????????? Dont understand what your trying to say.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline trg

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 06:50:03 PM »
Many times folks look at the guns that various builders are offereing or go by many of their questionable writeups on the what ,where, and how of a paricular gun or what their buddy has and thinks that is how that gun was made rather than using a reference like RCA or other sources that have originals to go by, kind of like trying to pick out a PC/HC outfit by seeing what the guys at the "vous are wearing

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 05:06:14 AM »
They'll soon learn. WE ALL started somewhere. Guy's who dont know what they are talking about and still keep talking wont be around long.

Once did a deal with a guy who said he had a Rapine bag mould for sale for $50.00. I bought it and it turned out to be one of the cheap moulds TOW sell's that are really poor when it comes to casting a good ball. He said he saw somewhere that it was refered to as a Rapine mould and sold it that way,EVEN THOUGH it was in the original bag from TOW and the word "Rapine" was nowhere to be found. After the confrontation,he hasn't been around the forum that the deal went down in. I now have the mould in my "Pig in a Poke" pile!
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline trg

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 08:45:07 AM »
Yeah "stuff" happens I have been fortunate and only been burned once and that was by a well known builder a decade ago and really as much my fault as I should not have assumed complete honesty and disclosure about the details of the product.

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 10:23:18 AM »
Quote from: "trg"
Yeah "stuff" happens I have been fortunate and only been burned once and that was by a well known builder a decade ago and really as much my fault as I should not have assumed complete honesty and disclosure about the details of the product.

The average consumer of these front stuffing guns often does not realize that being a "well known builder" does not always equate to their work being well respected by their peers. It is quite possible that some of the most well known builders to the consuming populous are not very good builders at all. :bl th up

As far as everyone soon learning..... I dont know about that. There are many who do not wish to learn more. There are some who refuse to as well. :cry: