Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Favorite disgusting food.  (Read 3476 times)

Offline 2-bellys

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »
scrambled eggs and fresh hog brains. :lol:
"a society that refuse to remember there history
is destined to repeat all of the mistakes of there past "

Offline ManyVoices

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.karenstoryteller.com
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 02:36:32 PM »
Quote from: "2-bellys"
scrambled eggs and fresh hog brains. :sleep
Many Voices
TMA # 257, exp 5/24/13
Karen Haas -- Storteller, Living History Performer, Step-on Tours of  Tacoma, and Musician.
We are the guardians of the memories of those who have gone before.

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 05:59:15 AM »
I grue up in a Swedish household and thank God Ma didn't like or cook Ludafisk. I could smell it when the folks next door made it--- ishta. It's just like fish jello.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 08:09:02 AM »
Quote from: "Loyalist Dave"
Sounds better than scrapple, IF you read the label on the scrapple package..., not recommended.LD

LD,
    I make my own "scrapple",and fried up properly,it is a perfect addition to any breakfast. I like it better than just fried sliced mush!
If you like fried mush,you will love  
SCRAPPLE    IMO
snake-eyes
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Cutler

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2010, 01:56:42 PM »
I LOVE raw calves liver with a touch of kosher salt and Tobasco on it....  KimChi makes me smile, so does Balut, when I can get it.  The occasional fat grub worm is not out of the question either.  We bought a durion a while back, smelled like a mix of rotted sewage and sweat socks, but tasted like a strong onion puddin.. Not a favorite, but it was worth the adventure

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 04:16:52 AM »
Balut, just ain't no way.....YUK :!:
snake-eyes
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Stryker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 11:07:43 AM »
Quote from: "Loyalist Dave"
Sounds better than scrapple, IF you read the label on the scrapple package..., not recommended.

LD

I agree, Goetta doesn't have the organ meat (or other stuff) included. I had scrapple once in a Pennsylvania diner. When I asked what was in it, the waitress told me "Everything but the oink." I don't know about anyone else, but I could definitely taste a hint of liver in it.
Mark
Lord, Make Me Fast and Accurate

Marine Corps Assoc. - Life Member
Disabled American Veterans - Life Member

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 08:15:18 PM »
My wife and I just had natto for the first time yesterday.  We stopped into a restaurant that serves a strong-flavored bean soup.  They also served the Japanese dish natto; we had some of that mixed with rice and vegetables, so it was kind of a Japanese/Korean dish.  The soup and mixed dish were pretty good.  The down-side of our visit to the restaurant was the waitress spilled a tray of strong-smelling stuff all over my wife's coat, so the atmosphere for the rest of our meal was not very pleasant.  The place only charged us for one meal.
Member #424

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 09:15:08 PM »
I make my own "scrapple",and fried up properly,it is a perfect addition to any breakfast.

I didn't mean to imply that I didn't like it..., I just suggested that one should not read the label too close!   :shock:

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline mike rumping

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.rumpingproductions.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 04:27:07 PM »
Dog-gone fellas, you're makin' me hungry.  Goetta is one of my favorites, right after head cheese.  My grandma used to make head cheese in her kitchen, boilin' down the hog's head, from scratch.  And my Mom used to make her own Goetta, 'n letr me tell you, it was better than Gleir's.   :)   Here's something I copied some time ago on line:
GOETTA
The origins of Goetta, a popular Cincinnati Oh./Covington Ky. breakfast food, are obscure, but it may be another excellent example of how regional cuisine is influenced by the blending of immigrant groups. Cincinnati is a laboratory for these effects. (This is not the same as "fusion" which describes the product of a Japanese chef who studied in Tuscany.) Some say Goetta (originally pronounced "gœ'-ta" but today pronounced "gedda") comes from Scrapple, a Pennsylvania "Dutch" (German) dish from a neighboring state. Others say it's a frontier form of Haggis, brought into the Ohio Valley by Scots-Irish migrants via Kentucky. Adding to the mystery is the fact that the name "goetta" is not used anywhere outside the greater Cincinnati area.
It's reasonable to believe that the Irish-oats pancakes (actually, a polenta, or pan-fried thickened oat porridge or mush) eaten by the Scots-Irish in Kentucky, and sometimes richened with humble pork (or organ meat) scraps to make a hearty Haggis substitute, was adapted by an Amish/German Scrapple recipe in Cincinnati or Covington, using the Irish polenta in place of the corn meal polenta to thicken and stretch the meat scraps into a cheap, high-energy meal.
The basic ingredients are meat scraps (leftover pork, beef, or organ meat such as hearts) and steel-cut oats (called "pinhead oats" in Cincinnati). Modern recipes call simply for supermarket ground pork or ground pork and beef, but traditionalists will use the meat from boiled pork neck bones, a tribute to Cincy's pork-processing heritage.
The steel-cut oats may be hard to find. You cannot substitute Quaker Oats or rolled oats or any other kind of oats (except pinhead oats) and get correct results. Some specialty food stores, "health-food" stores, and yuppie supermarkets carry Steel-Cut Irish Oatmeal, or you can find it online. Of course, if you live in the Greater Cincinnati area, you can find original pinhead oats marketed under the Dorsel brand.
There is a traditional (long) way and a shorter way to prepare this dish. The traditional way is to start two days ahead of time (unless you have cooked pork meat and broth at hand) using pork neck bones. The shorter way can be done in a couple of hours, but on the day prior, using leftover cooked pork or ground pork or pork sausage, ground beef, and prepared stock. The traditional way is no more difficult, but requires more planning, and is cheaper. The shorter way must still be prepared the night before, since the mixture must be refrigerated before pan-frying. (Yes, you can buy or mail-order prepared goetta, but then you wouldn't have read this far.)
This is also a good dish for a crockpot or slow cooker. Read the recipe and decide which way you want to do it based on how much time you have and your shopping preferences.

Goetta
(Serves 6)
2 lb pork sausage, ground pork and/or beef
or 4 lb neck bones
5 c pork broth or chicken or vegetable stock
or 8 c water
1˝ c very finely chopped onion
(1 large onion)
3 t salt
˝ t pepper
˝ t sage
ź t thyme
4 bay leaves
2˝ c pinhead or steel-cut oats
˝ c cornmeal to thicken
PREPARE THE BROTH AND MEAT BASE
In a large stockpot or saucepan, brown the neckbones. Add the chopped onion and sauté until soft. Cover with at least 8 c water, season with salt and pepper, add spices and bay leaves, and simmer for 2-3 hours until meat is tender. Strain broth and reserve 5 cups. Pull off meat from bones and return to stock. Return onion to stock. Degrease stock (best method is to chill overnight and remove solidified fat from surface).
If using ground meat, sauté meat and chopped onion in large saucepan until meat is brown. Season with salt, pepper, and spices, stir, add the chicken or vegetable stock, and heat until boiling.
PREPARE THE GOETTA MIXTURE
Heat the base until boiling. Add the oats, stir, reduce heat, and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, one hour or until thickened. If too thin, add cornmeal as necessary to achieve desired consistency.
PREPARE THE GOETTA
Spoon the mixture into lightly greased loaf pans and allow to cool. Refrigerate overnight.
FINISH AND SERVE
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:41:33 AM by mike rumping »
http://www.rumpingproductions.com/
TMA #226
Expires: 2/14/11
"Kentucke, situated on the fertile banks of the great Ohio,
rising from obscurity to shine with splendor, equal to any
other of the stars of the American hemisphere." ...... John Filson

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »
I won't tell you it came from Germany..., but here ya go with an origin of the word in German!

Goetta is a peasant food of German origin that is popular in the greater Cincinnati area. It is primarily composed of ground meat and oats. Pronounced gétt-aa, ged-da or get-uh Americanized pronunciation, this dish originated with German settlers from the northwestern regions of Oldenburg, Hannover, and Westphalia who emigrated to the Cincinnati area in the 19th century. The word "Goetta" comes from the Low German word götte.

From Wikipedia

LD

Offline mike rumping

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.rumpingproductions.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 02:10:34 AM »
Dave,
As I said it was 'something I copied some time ago on line.'
But looks like i'd better change that, right?  lol  :oops: Fact is it's now changed.  
Mike
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:42:43 AM by mike rumping »
http://www.rumpingproductions.com/
TMA #226
Expires: 2/14/11
"Kentucke, situated on the fertile banks of the great Ohio,
rising from obscurity to shine with splendor, equal to any
other of the stars of the American hemisphere." ...... John Filson

Offline 2-bellys

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 11:45:47 AM »
read somewhere that eating raw organ meat can cause you to ingest a parasite called lung worms ans they reek havoc  on your bronchial system also get them from raw fish  so watch out  for that.
"a society that refuse to remember there history
is destined to repeat all of the mistakes of there past "

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 07:18:03 AM »
As I said it was 'something I copied some time ago on line.'
But looks like i'd better change that, right? lol Embarassed

Maybe or maybe not.  No idea if the Wiki quote is accurate as it could very well be from the one guy in Cincinnati who is telling everybody that it's German.   :shock:   I tried to see if there is a low-German/English dictionary online, to see what the word "götte" means, as maybe it means "oat hash" or something like "jumble" but I couldn't confirm anything.  For all we know it's from an escaped slave who took refuge with some German speaking folks in Ohio, and was indeed based on the idea of something like scrapple that the German immigrants called Götte.  

LD

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 01:20:38 PM »
The one item I havn't seen mentioned here is horse. For some reason many folks think it a sin to use a horse for human consumption. In many parts of Europe horse meat is prefered to bovine.. Durring WW2 when you had ration stamps many folks ate horse. I'll try about anything EXCEPT raw sea food, too much toxins been dumped in the oceans .
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013