Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Suggestions for an Affordable Smooth bore .62 cal  (Read 612 times)

Offline FThomas

• TMA Forum Member
Suggestions for an Affordable Smooth bore .62 cal
« on: July 01, 2011, 12:51:07 PM »
Well, I am new to this forum and a new member and thought that some of you might offer some suggestions on a "used" and affordable smooth bore in .62 cal.  I currently own a TVM Early Virginia and a Lyman GPR in percussion - both .54 cal and a 12 gauge SxS that is #263 Wild Turkey Federation 10 Year Anniversary Model.  The 12 gauge is in near mint condition and patterns like a dream.  Don't know why I feel as though I just have to have a smooth bore, but the bug has got me.

I am not in a position to do a kit.  Don't have the tools or the skills so that is out of the question.  

What would your recommendations to look for in an era 1770's +/-  30 years smooth bore.

Thanks
Fred
Member Number 634
Expired 6/18/2012

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
Re: Suggestions for an Affordable Smooth bore .62 cal
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 05:12:56 PM »
Fred,
First, welcome to the association and the forum!  I came back to muzzleloading a few months ago after about a 10 year hiatus and decided to try something new, a smoothbore.  I've always been an accuracy nut and so always shot rifles.  I bought a .62 cal (20 gauge) French fusil fin made in 1990 by Centermark Arms off a guy on Gunbroker for $850 plus shipping and I spent another $70 for a ton of flints and other stuff he had for it.  That smoothie has been an eye-opener.  It may lack the long range accuracy of a rifle but at 50 yards it creates a one-hole group when I do my part.  I'm looking forward to trying it with shot.  "Fusil fin" means "fine gun" and this one has a curly maple stock that will knock your eyes out.  You can probably find one with a plainer stock for less than I spent but none of the smoothbores seem to be exactly cheap.  Since you specified "used" the best I can suggest is to hit the forums and online gun seller sites and keep looking until you find what you are looking for.  Good Luck!  I can tell you that while you may not "need" a smoothie, once you get one you may be selling that SxS.

As for what to look for, I'd suggest the same things that you would look for in a rifle.  A high-quality lock is a must if you are going to avoid frustration.  A good barrel is worth the money too.  There are a lot of made-in-India guns out there right now for cheap prices.  Many are okay but be aware of the fact that some are very cheaply made and don't even have a threaded breechplug.  The crappy ones have a steel plate that is welded over the breech end of the barrel and there has been at least one documented case of the the plate coming loose and rupturing.  Be sure you know what you are getting.  The only difference between a pipe bomb and a gun is craftmanship.  We have some people on this forum who would build you a quality smoothie at a reasonable price and you wouldn't have to worry it blowing up.  I owned one of the India guns in percussion and sent it back after I discovered a serious casting flaw in the patent breech.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »
Quote from: "FThomas"

What would your recommendations to look for in an era 1770's +/-  30 years smooth bore.

Welcome, Fred.

Firstly, that is a HUGE spread in the gun design timeline. Styles changed heavily every 15-20 years.

Second, what are you going to do with this gun? Just for shooting and hunting? Living history stuff?

Third, what is "affordable" to you?

With these questions answered, we can be of much greater help.

Mario

Offline FThomas

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 11:04:06 PM »
No real interest in "re-enacting" here in S. California.  Some hunting possibly with round ball for wild boar and shot during quail season.  

As far as price goes, most that I have seen selling used I could save a little more money up and just order the fowler from TVM.  I don't want anything with a lot of frills.  Nice wood would be nice, but even that I'm not that concerned about.  It seems that a smooth bore is a lot more expensive and possibly in demand than a flintlock rifle or both.  Maybe it is the fact that not so many have been made.  So, I don't know.  Firm answer on price is hard to give.
Member Number 634
Expired 6/18/2012

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 12:25:21 AM »
I was very surprised at the prices smoothies are bringing nowadays.  Yes, you can probably have one made for not much more than a used one.  Getting one made for you means that you can ask for exactly what you want.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 12:28:40 AM »
Well, new guns can run $1000-$5000. You should be able to pick up a basic fowling piece, NW trade gun, fusil de chasse for less than $1500 (some down at $1000). A good choice is getting something "in the white" which means it's in assembled, firing condition, but the wood and metal haven't been finished (depending on the gun, this is usually just some sandpaper work and metal finish, 5-8 hours of simple work), but saves you $100-200 off the price.

You can try:

http://www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/intro.html

http://northstarwest.com/

For used guns, you can try:

http://frontierfolk.net/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=11

http://historicaltrekking.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

Here is a nice trade gun (blue paint comes from Williamsburg records):

http://frontierfolk.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 11&t=38794

I recommend staying away from military muskets because of their additional weight, bore size and poorer handling (as a hunting gun).

With price, good guns from good makers hold value. Heck, I could probably sell my Type G from Mike Brooks for more than what I paid for it.

Rifles are in greater demand, so major companies can afford to turn them out en mass. Smoothbores, not as much. Other than say, Pedersoli guns, most smoothbores are turned out 1 at a time.

Mario

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 12:29:42 AM »
Oh. If you want a 17th century Dutch or English gun, you also have Leonard Day (around $1000).

Mario

Offline FThomas

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 09:05:14 PM »
Wow, thanks for all of the good leads.  Interesting guns and the prices are about what I expected for a new one.  The blue gun on Frontier Folk is a bit different.  Didn't realize that was a PC color for a fowler.  Learned something.

Thanks guys for all the good info.
Member Number 634
Expired 6/18/2012

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 11:01:25 PM »
Quote from: "FThomas"
The blue gun on Frontier Folk is a bit different.  Didn't realize that was a PC color for a fowler.

It isn't. It's the color mentioned concerning a bunch of trade guns taken fro the arsenal at Williamsburg, VA in 1775 by Rebel militia. The guns were meant for the Indian trade.

Very specific. Not a general thing for guns in the 18th century.

Mario