Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Lock Cleaning?  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Thunderhawk1828

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting / Contributing Member #181
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 11/05/2019
Lock Cleaning?
« on: August 12, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »
Hey all:

I haven't shot flintlocks all that much. Had one before and not had this problem.

Have a Traditions Rifle and after a shooting session (rifle is a good shooter) I need to take the lock plate off and clean out a filthy inlet area as the smoke / powder residue gets behind the lock. A 50 cal with 60 gr of FFF Powder.

Question is - is this normal? I don't think it is and maybe a poor fit of lock plate, but again I don't have the experience to know. Can't believe you need to clean behind the lock every time?

Thanks for the help.

Thunderhawk
TMA Member #181
NRA Life Member
Renewal Date: 11-5-19

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 09:07:58 PM »
In a little book called, as I remember it, "A Soldier-Like Way" describing the daily lives of Colonial era English soldiers, the protocol for cleaning the musket we know as Brown Bess mandated that the soldier  dismount and clean the lock every time the arm had been fired.

We are so accustomed to clean burning smokeless powder and non corrosive priming that we have either forgotten or never learned the lessons of the past when not thouroughly cleaning one's firelock was a prelude to catastrophe.

In a word, yes, it's normal to dismount and clean your lock and the lock mortice.  Forego the pleasure for a few months and you will learn why.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Online Craig Tx

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Member #332
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:14:04 PM »
I clean the lock and lock mortice every time.

Just part of the routine...

Craig
Dios y Tejas!

TMA # 332
Renew: 5 Sept 2024

Offline vermontfreedom

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 09:49:01 PM »
Quote from: "Craig Tx"
I clean the lock and lock mortice every time.
Just part of the routine...Craig

ditto
--VermontFreedom--
TMA Charter Member #135 (renewed 20091128)

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 10:27:28 PM »
same here
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline Bruce Bogart

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 10:36:27 PM »
Me Too

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 11:05:04 PM »
well . if the rifle is built  tight , there should be little to clean .
. now as a rifle gets more use  and the lock is taken out and put back in , things wear and  it can  need to be cleaned more often . as i sit here writing this,,, im trying to think , but in all honesty i dont think i take my lock out but maybe  once every couple months .  simpley becouse there is  really nothing there to clean , just a wipe down  to get out any  dust  or matter thats gottin back there  but I never find powder or fouling ?

if you are getting  un burnt powder , your lock isnt fitting tight to the barrel .
 if your getting fouling , then eather your lock isnt fit tight ,  the lock doesnt fit tight to the wood behind the cock or back edge of the pan OR you have a leaking breech plug .
 now dust and things will work up  through the triggers .
 but if its indeed  alot of fouling and un burnt powder then you have an issue that you need to address .
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:32:27 PM by Captchee »

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 11:29:51 PM »
Like Cap said, if the lock and barrel are tightly fitted there will be little intrusion of smoke and powder behind the lock.  However, having said that, I have to recommend that after each shooting session the lock be removed and checked.  Most of the time it will need nothing other than a little oil here and there but occasionally it will require cleaning and tightening of the odd screw.  At least one a year the entire lock should be completely disassembled and inspected.  After if you follow the guidance of "THOSE THAT KNOW" :shake  :hey-hey  :hairy
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 11:45:21 PM »
I clean my lock inards every time
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline Old Salt

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 07:48:59 AM »
I don't think it is normal/correct to have residue buildup behind the lock plate.  That shouldn't happen but I know it does on some rifles.  

But even if it doesn't happen I still remove and usually disassemble parts of the lock to make sure it is clean and lubricated.

salt
Traditional American Craftsman

Offline Wyoming Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 07:58:15 AM »
I pull the lock when I clean just because it is easier to clean the exterior with it out of the rifle.  You should not be getting any crud inside the lock from firing.  That shows the rifle does not have a good barrel to lock bolster fit.  I have one rifle with this condition and have to clean the inside with a few swipes of a cleaning patch.  I always put a drop of oil on the moving parts of the lock when I clean.

All my flintlocks get taken apart for a good cleaning and lube job about once a year.
Love the smell of black powder in the morning
Smells like fun.

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 09:50:29 AM »
I've never pulled the lock on my capper.  I asked here how to do it once, but then forgot about it.  I suppose I should try it some time.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Old Salt

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 10:04:16 AM »
Over the weekend while at a state ML shoot I overheard one explaination for keeping your locks clean and lubricated.  

The simple reason is to be certain of best lock speed/function.  

The idea being more important to flintlock shooters with the hopes of eliminating any variation in lock speed/function but reasonable for percussion too.

Salt
Traditional American Craftsman

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 10:39:24 AM »
again . if your getting so much grud behind your lockplate then you have an issue . it sould not build up like that .
 now thats not saying there is anything wrong with taking your lock out and cleaning it every time you clean your rifle .
 nope ,  nothing wrong with that at all . but as i said  if your getting enough crud back there to enterfear with the working and speed of the lock  then one should be looking for the WHY of it .

Offline MikeC

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 11:35:55 AM »
Always, repeat always, remove the flintlock and clean it with an old soft tooth brush in warm soapy water, then rinse off, wipe dry, spray down with WD-40, wipe down, spray with a little gun oil and reinstall.  takes about 10 minutes.  Don't overtighten the lock screws when you reinstall it, just make them snug.