Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Making your own flintlock flint  (Read 852 times)

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Making your own flintlock flint
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 08:27:56 AM »
Stormrider; i would offer that the first books you read are those from DC Waldorf. There are several and The Art of Flint Knapping may be the one you want. As far as material is concerned, good quality flint about your only option. Hornstone and some of the better cherts will make a functional gun flint. Generally, the whiter the stone is, the harder it is, leaning toward a quartz type structure. As opposed to flint where the blacker it is, the harder. Obsidian and the glasses, while sharp as all heck, cannot be used for guns as they very brittle and would be destroyed at the first drop of the hammer. Conversely, they make the sharpest, best broadheads. As you've already found out, finding good quality material is always a problem, unless ya live near Flint Ridge, Ohio or some other known flint deposit. Chert can be found almost anywhere east of the Rockies, but the quality very's widely. You can check any piece you find on a fire steel before investing the labor to make a gun flint. I'm sure our forefathers used anything available and weren't the least concerned about longevity, as long as it fired. Throw it away, make another! Hope this helps a bit, Good luck, Buzzard
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Making your own flintlock flint
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 09:13:39 AM »
Quote from: "Rasch Chronicles"
Champagne bottles bottoms are good too I have heard said.

BTW, I remember Dixie Gun Works (30 years ago) used to sell raw English flint nodules. I've looked but I haven't found any on the net. Has anyone else seen any?

Best regards,
Albert “The Afghan” Rasch
Traditional Methods of Waterproofing Fabric
?O??? ????!

i bought one from dixie about 10 years ago ,. wighed about 5lbs  but was  really oddly shaped . about the only thing it was good for was making  flints for fire starting .
 i did get a couple  gun spalls out of it though