Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Dry Patching in a Smoothbore  (Read 528 times)

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
Dry Patching in a Smoothbore
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:59:13 PM »
I thought I'd share some interesting results from a couple of recent range sessions with my Tulle.  I'm sure most of you know who Dutch Schoultz is.  He has promoted his muzzleloading rifle accuracy system for quite a few years.  I'm going to respect his request that folks not share all the details as he makes a few dollars selling his package of info.  I will however tell you that it seems to work even in a smoothbore.  At least it did in my Tulle.  I was getting the accuracy I expected from a smoothie at 50 yards, good but not great, until I tried Dutch's system.  Then I got the five shot group shown in the photo.  I blame the vertical stringing on myself and the lack of a rear sight on the Tulle.  The two holes right and left of the vertical string were fired by a young lady who came up and asked to take a photo of me firing the gun.  I took a couple of photos of her firing it instead.  She did pretty well for her first two shots from a flintlock.  For my last two shots of the day I aimed for the upper and  then the lower small diamonds on the left.  Aim small, miss small.  I was still very surprised when I nailed them both.  

Dutch's system takes a little more effort than just going shooting.  You will have to wipe the bore between shots for one thing.  But for accuracy like that I'd say it's worth it.  If it does this for a smoothie I can't wait until I try it in a rifle.  I have the Tulle up for sale because I can't afford to buy a rifle right now unless I sell the Tulle.  In the mean time I've installed a rear sight on the Tulle and will be taking it to the range as soon as the wind dies down a little.  It will be interesting to see how it does when I'm not doing so much guessing about the sight picture.

Storm[attachment=0:3thir3r7][/attachment]PB160841.JPG[/attachment:3thir3r7]
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
Re: Dry Patching in a Smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 06:29:34 AM »
That's lookn pritty darn good Stormrider. How do ya get ahold of Duch?
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 09:23:58 AM »
Quote from: "Roaddog"
That's lookn pritty darn good Stormrider. How do ya get ahold of Duch?

You can phone him at 314-726-2590 or email at dr5x22@yahoo.com.  Good guy.

Storm
Member #632

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 05:25:52 AM »
Thank you sir.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 07:31:30 AM »
That is very interesting, as the smoothie that I fired recently hates patching of any sort, but does amazingly well at 50 yards with wads and a bare .600 ball over 70 grains of 3Fg.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 10:14:38 AM »
The combination I was using using was a pretty tight fit in the bore.  Recovered patches were perfect with a well defined black circle and no evidence of gas blow by at all.  I started out the day at 70 grains FFFg and then tried 80 and 90.  Increasing the charge caused accuracy to deteriorate so I dropped back to 60 and then 50 gr FFFg.  Best accuracy resulted from the 60 gr load.  The shots in the photo were fired using 60 gr.  I've fitted a Jaeger style rear sight in the existing dovetail on the barrel and if it doesn't sell soon I'll be taking it back to the range to see what it will do at 50 and 100 yards with the sight.

Storm
Member #632