Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: TVM Fowler  (Read 773 times)

Offline rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
TVM Fowler
« on: February 06, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »
I'm thinking about ordering a TVM Fowler kit,... anyone have one of these smoothbores, and what do you think of'em?
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
Re: TVM Fowler
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 12:42:25 PM »
What are your main reasons for wanting a TVM fowler kit over other offerings? Most make that decision based on internet opinions and/or cost. Both of these factors are relative.
IMHO there could be better options depending on what you are after. Shoot me a pm.

Offline rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »
Quote from: "Capt. Jas."
What are your main reasons for wanting a TVM fowler kit over other offerings? Most make that decision based on internet opinions and/or cost. Both of these factors are relative.
IMHO there could be better options depending on what you are after. Shoot me a pm.

Good question,......  :laffing
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Adam Wetherington

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 07:28:28 PM »
I have one.

It goes boom EVERY time. It is very comfortable to shoot and carry. It's well made. I really like it.

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:00:07 AM »
Got the TVM American Fowler kit from Roaddog, and it went together easy, and has a great lock on it, no firing issues. Well pleased with  it overall.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 12:46:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies fellas, you've given me some ideas to ponder on.

Actually, it is my wife who is considering the TVM,... so now I have to sit and wait while she makes up her mind about what she wants.  :laffing

I might add,... she is also looking at a Jackie Brown Smooth Rifle "in the white", for about the same money as TVM's "kit".

I've had no experience with either one, so if you have any opinions (good or bad) regarding either of these smoothbores please feel free to share them.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 02:45:35 PM »
I had one and have nothing but good things to say about it.  Ignition time rivaled many percussions.  I used it to do an evaluation of different ways to shoot a RB in it.  The thread is on this forum.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 02:09:19 PM »
Here's an update:........
My wife ordered the Jackie Brown Virgina Smoothrifle (with a 46" barrel),..... I told her she was gonna have to "stand on'a stump" to load the thang.  :rotf

Any bets as to her wanting to trade her new Smoothrifle, for my Early English trade gun (with it's short 30" barrel),... soon after the tall "Virginian" gets here.  :laffing
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 03:13:44 PM »
Well then.  I have a TVM smoothbore and had a rear sight installed.  That is one wonderful gun.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
Rondo, Congratulation on your new Jackie Brown!
I've never owned one, never owned a TVM either, but I have owned several smooth bores over the years.

FWIW; Everybody has simply gotta love a smoothie, no matter the make, model, length, weight, or size of hole in the barrel.

I've hung onto an old el-cheapo smoothie with 36" bbl in .69 caliber that is well over 40 years old, since right around 1970 sometime, and I've just never had the heart to get rid of her.

Back in the day, DGW sold these things for about $120, delivered to your door, complete with instructions on how to load and care for it, and a reminder to always use "a sporting grade Fg"...(that's 1 Fg).....for best results.
I used Fg for years, before I got adventurous enough to try something else, and since that time I have used all 3 grades of Goex, Fg. FFg, and FFFg and if there is any difference I am not astute enough to see it when shooting that big roundball, but with shot there is a definite advantage in using Fg...it simply patterns better.

In my newer .62 cal, FFg is the ticket. but not so with the old girl, she still prefers Fg and that is getting harder to find every day in my neck of the woods.  

The old gun is made by Miroku of Japan. Here 40 plus years later, it performs as good as the day I took it out of the box, and it gives a whole new meaning to "cheap".
After owning this gun for so long I honestly believe "cheap is as cheap does", and all "cheap' is not created equally.

Now, I betcha a Hog Dollar against a doughnut, that Jackie Brown of yorn ain't going to have no cheap on it.
And, that's a real good thang.

Congratulations!............ (To you and the bride!)  :rt th

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 12:04:55 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
My wife ordered the Jackie Brown Virgina Smoothrifle (with a 46" barrel),..... I told her she was gonna have to "stand on'a stump" to load the thang.  :rotf

Any bets as to her wanting to trade her new Smoothrifle, for my Early English trade gun (with it's short 30" barrel),... soon after the tall "Virginian" gets here.  :laffing

Not wanting to derail your thread - you can pm or start a new thread if ya want - but how much are you handicapped with that short barrel? I'm thinkin it could be right handy on a turkey gun....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »
An interesting thing about a smoothbore is that the ethical hunting range of a prb is limited with a rifle, compared with modern rounds.  This ends up putting the smoothbore only a relatively small bit behind the rifles.  Depending on a number of factors we won't get into, it's not uncommon for a smoothbore to have 2/3 the range of a prb rifle.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 12:53:52 PM »
Quote from: "Riley/MN"
Quote from: "rollingb"

Any bets as to her wanting to trade her new Smoothrifle, for my Early English trade gun (with it's short 30" barrel),... soon after the tall "Virginian" gets here.  :rt th
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6