Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Shooting a 54 cal smooth bore  (Read 559 times)

Offline Lonewolfe20

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member # 757 Expires 7/25/2020, Member & State Representative.
Shooting a 54 cal smooth bore
« on: August 06, 2014, 09:53:55 PM »
My wife bought me a smoothbore 54 cal rifle

I haven't shot a smoothbore before

1. Do I load it similar to a rifled barrel when I am shooting a round ball

2. How would the loading procedure be to use shot
     (Please be as specific as possible )

Thanks everyone
NRA Member
State Representative for South Dakota, contact me for more SD info
TMA #757

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
Re: Shooting a 54 cal smooth bore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 11:59:35 AM »
You will get different answers from different perspectives.  Some load smooth bores in attempt to be as Historically correct as possible.  Others are only concerned with performance.

I am relativity new to the smooth bore.  Mine is a 62 cal.  I patch my round ball just the same as my rifles.  It means I have to wipe the bore after every shot but I am shooting in competition against muskets and I am only concerned with my groups on the target.  And I am still tweaking that load looking for improvement.    

My shot loads are performing to my total satisfaction.   Here I load powder, over powder card, lubed wad torn into 4 or 5 layers, shot, over shot card.  That load patterns well, breaks clays, and kills critters.  I don't see any reason to change it.  

IMO you need to experiment some to find out what your gun is going to shoot best.
Steve Sells

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 02:17:42 PM »
I am more historically minded, even when shooting in (informal) matches.

Powder, ball, wadding.

Powder, wadding, shot, wadding.

Wadding can be anything from paper to wasp's nesting to tow or even grass in a pinch.

Mario

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 02:42:43 PM »
Prairie Dog and Mario have given you both ends of the spectrum in smoothbores.  I originally loaded mine the way I had loaded rifles, with powder and tightly patched ball.  Then I experimented with other things and discovered that I got almost as much accuracy with powder, tow wadding, ball, tow wadding.  That one had the advantage in that I could shoot either ball or shot without needing to carry both patches and wads.  Being something of an accuracy nut I've now settled on using an over powder card wad, lubed cushion wad, either bare ball or shot, and an over shot wad to hold things in place.  This gives me accuracy equal to what I got with a PRB while allowing me to shoot shot whenever needed.  The bottom line is that  each gun is a universe unto itself.  Experiment to find what load it likes and how it likes to be loaded.  It's all part of the fun of muzzleloading.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 02:56:35 PM »
Generally, patched ball in a smoothbore requires a ball .020" under bore size rather than the standard .010" of rifles.  This is because there are no grooves for the patch to compress into.  For bare ball I use WW metal and seat it on top of a cushion wad over the powder with a card wad on top of the ball.  both shoot very well for me.

Here's a bare ball, 50 yard target shot with my .62 smoothbore.  Three different powder charges were used and seated as described above.

Here's 8 shots with patched .600" ball at 50 yards.  These are typical groups with smoothbores.  Not shooter; just capabilities of a smoothbore.  Green holes are two fliers.

Here's a deer I killed with a patched ball in my smoothbore.

Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline TallTexan

• TMA Forum Member
  • You can't kill a man who is born to hang.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 12:25:55 AM »
Quote from: "Lonewolfe20"
My wife bought me a smoothbore 54 cal rifle

Nice to be married to someone like that for sure!

Feel free to ask questions as to any of the terms thrown about herein.  Have you shot only muzzle loading rifles before this?
Member 629