Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: did something stupid, need suggestions...?  (Read 1117 times)

Offline the Black Spot

• TMA Forum Member
did something stupid, need suggestions...?
« on: August 18, 2008, 09:32:41 AM »
here is the short of it. dry balled. used puller. puller came loose. ball now stuck 4 inches from top of barrel. puller will not grab ball. used long deck screw. thought it was centered and it wasn't. ball is out, but now i have badly scored the lands and grooves.
any suggestions on what to do with the barrel.

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 10:01:51 AM »
BlackSpot.
Steve is probably right, but before you go to such extremes, why don't you try shooting it just to see how much the damage has affected the group size.
Worth a try in my mind.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 01:43:11 PM »
I agree with R.M., you may be lucky and the damage may not have  affected accuracy. If not wyosmith has offered the best advice. Good luck to you.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 05:32:47 PM »
I also agree with R.M. but cleaning may be an issue.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline FG1

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 05:48:33 PM »
Before wacking it , I would take a piece of ram rod split in half ,then put a little split in it to hold some 320 wet dry sand paper so i could reach in and take down any burrs and or use a swiss needle file to dress them up then use the sand paper gently. Go over it with steel wool and if it hangs up go thru the process again till it dont catch the steel wool. Unless they are REAL deep they should clean up pretty good .
NRA Life Member

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 08:35:48 PM »
now here is a thought .
 now im not one for coning but if the  problem is close to the muzzle, , coning may take it out .

as others have said , try shooting it , you might just be suprised . i have seen some pretty bad bores through the years that shot  wonderfuly

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 12:42:58 AM »
I agree with all the good advice above. The only thing I would suggest is to re-seat the ball after working a little powder through the vent and shooting the stuck ball out instead of trying to pull it; thats of corse if it were ever to happen again? I have pulled several dry-balls over the years, and shooting tnem out is less work, safer and will not damage the rifle
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline the Black Spot

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 01:19:24 AM »
thanks for all the replies. i shot the rifle today.

25 yards i got a 5/8" group
50 yards i got a 1.25" group
all shot over a rest.

load used is a .490 hornady rb wrapped with a mink tallowed(from TOTW) linen patch backed by 60 grains of schuetzen 3f

all i did was put steel wool over the cleaning jag and run it up and down over the damaged area quite a bit.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 08:53:56 AM »
Is that about the same group sizes as before the dryball incedent? Looks like it's shooting pretty good.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 09:15:06 AM »
Thats better than I can shoot   :lol
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline the Black Spot

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 10:23:41 AM »
Quote from: "Hank in WV"
Is that about the same group sizes as before the dryball incedent? Looks like it's shooting pretty good.

actually if i remember correctly these groups are better than before i dry balled.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 08:24:23 PM »
I 'spect that if the little spiral groove things are real boogered up and you didn't want to go whacking off a few inches of the barrel and spoiling the looks and balance of the piece, you could have a 'smith chuck the barrel up in his lathe and just ream out the necessary front inches of the bore. Sort of make the last couple of inches into a smoothrifle. Might make loading easier too.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393