Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: New England Fowler Forestock Questions  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Reactor

• TMA Forum Member
New England Fowler Forestock Questions
« on: December 08, 2019, 06:55:55 PM »
I have a couple of questions for the gun builders. 

I have an octagon to round barrel from Rice that is swamped.  However my kit's stock channel is flat.  The forestock is so flexible and twisted from the drying process, received that way, that I'm not sure profiling the barrel channel is possible.  Is it worth the time to chase approximately .060 inches of profile or should it just pin the barrel to the flat channel and let the stock suck up the .060 profile?  I could then sand the top of the forestock to be flat.  I'm not sure your eye would pick up the swamped profile but if I sanded the top of the forestock exactly flat then the ramrod channel would be the only wood that has the swamped profile.
My thoughts to straighten out the twist is to mark the centerline of the forestock and match that up to the centerline of the barrel; then inlet the barrel lugs.  I think once the lugs are inlet into the centerline of the stock, then the stock should be straight when I pin it. 

My next question is the shape of the forestock for a New England fowler.  I cannot find any information about the profile.  Should the top of the forestock be rounded 1/3 the height of the forestock?  Is the top profile chiselled to the barrel or is there a top flat of 1/8 inch?  Is the bottom two thirds of the forestock rounded or flat?
Or is the profile 50/50. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
Re: New England Fowler Forestock Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 07:12:55 PM »
You can get a full size plan for this fowler from TOW for 7-8 bucks, I built mine from these plans, they give cutaways for the profile. I did 50-50 on my barrel forestock configuration, rounded forestock.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 02:59:21 AM »
Eric, I like that stock.
 :hairy
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Reactor

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 10:47:50 AM »
Thank you Eric. 
Nice looking fowler.  The wood I am working with is almost black and very resinous; most likely heartwood.  I hope I can get some grain to show when it's finished.