Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Reworked one of my Shootin' Bag's today  (Read 304 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Reworked one of my Shootin' Bag's today
« on: March 02, 2020, 08:52:19 PM »
For the last week or so I've been planning on setting up at least one (maybe more now) of my .45 caliber Shootin' Bags to accommodate both "Cap & Flintlock" Rifle's, and my .45 Caplock Pistol... Naturally, I was over thinking it (I do that a'lot at times), but suddenly it just all fell into place...

1.  My biggest obstacle was that I shoot the most accurate with the .445 patched ball in my Rifles, and I use a .433 patched ball in my pistol...

2.  I tried hanging a .445 and .433 ball board on my front shoulder strap - but that made the bag look to clumsy... So I decided to hang just one ball board from the strap (.433) and this made more sense to me because my pistol takes the .433, and both rifles (whichever one I take with me, cap or flint) can shoot the .433 ball - and all three can be loaded without the use of a Short Starter,,, and I can reload faster with the .433 ball - and where that is not really a problem that needs to be addressed in this day and age - it could come into play at the Rendezvous events somewhere down the road.

3.  I keep a leather with 16 caps in it hanging from my front strap as well, and I keep a vent pick on the lower part of the front strap (in a thin sleeve) next to my brass powder charger that's in a leather sleeve as well... The flints I don't have to worry about because I seldom ever have to change a flint, and if I have to dress the flint after some shooting - I can easily reach into my bag and grab my little tool for that...

4.  Now inside my bag I keep spare ball boards for both .433 and .445... If I find myself in a match where "best" accuracy is needed - I simply get one the .445 boards out (easily identified as .445's because of the spur facing up in the boards, (where the .433's have no spur because they are Hornady balls) and I hang the .445 ball board onto a dangling piece of leather on the front strap of the bag... (when I'm done with the .445 ball board - I simply undo it and put it back into the bag...

5.  My bag also has all the necessary items in it to field clean all three muzzle-loaders, and replenish the caps, or a new flint and leather, as well as a small priming antler if I choose to use it... I'll probably just end up priming from the horn.

So what may sound like a'lot of stuff with this one bag, it's really not,,, and what is required for each muzzleloading firearm to make them go bang - gives me 30 shots of .433 patch and ball, and 28 shots of .445 patch and ball...

I have actually been thinking about this for a couple of years, and I finally just did it.  :shake

Now if the danged wind would just stop blowing so I can go to the Range and play with this - all would be good!!!  :bl th up

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska