Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Snakey Stuff  (Read 1278 times)

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Snakey Stuff
« on: June 21, 2020, 04:11:01 PM »
OK, here is a place to talk about snakey stuff.

I'll start.

When I was in the Army way back when, I was stationed in Thailand.  One weekend I went into Bangkok.  I heard about the Reptile Farm and thought that would be an interesting place to view.  So, I got into a taxi and told the fellow where I wanted to go.  Amazingly enough, we went straight there and did not have a stopover at any of the brothels that were probably on the way.  So, I paid my 5 baht ($0.25) admission fee and walked around and saw all sort of things and scaly critters.  The one that made the biggest impression on me was a square pit about 25 or 30 feet square and maybe 10 feet deep.  In the middle was an island, maybe 10 feet square.  On it were all kinds of King Cobras, all standing up with their capes (?) flared.  In the water was a rather hard to identify clump of stuff.  Upon further inspection, I determined it was a cluster of cobras with just their heads sticking out of the water.  Must have been 50 of them.  Sure made me glad that I was up on the ground and not down in the pit.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Spotted Bull

Re: Snakey Stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 11:11:12 PM »
I will try to get some good pictures of my "no hips" friends later.

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 11:18:06 PM »
This is just totally FWIW, but:

How much money does a herpetologist make in a year?
They typically earn between $30,000 and $80,000 a year, depending on their experience. The median salary is around $63,000.

Ready to change professions yet?

To me, that is not nearly enough to get around them critters.  Way short, think I would have stuck to powder horn making.  Which I did anyway, but...

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Spotted Bull

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 11:20:24 PM »
If I could have gotten the degree and the job as a herpetologist I would have loved it.

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 10:56:10 AM »
I would have loved to get a degree in herpetology, but by the time I got out of the Marines I was married and already had received my call to the ministry. Still, even though I enjoy the beauty of snakes, I am glad that I don't deal with them for a living.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 02:32:38 PM »
I'll never forget the time over in Thailand when I walked down to the motor pool and saw a group of guys gathered around a grader tire.  I walked over to see what was going on and there was a little snake maybe a foot long trying to get out of the tire (obviously, it wasn't mounted on a rim).  I asked one of the guys what it was, and he replied "a step and a half".  That referred to a snake (member of the viper family) that if it bit you, you were good for about a step and a half before you keeled over, very dead.  Well, so much for thinking about reaching down and helping it out of the tire.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 03:01:33 PM »
In the Philippines (and Vietnam also, I  think ) , those are called cigarette  snakes. You have enough time to pull out a cigarette , light  it and take a drag. I never saw one in the wild but did see a victim, not a pretty sight.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 04:28:49 PM »
Neighbor lady across the street came over a week or so ago, asking if I knew anything about snakes.  It turns out that they had a 6' rat snake in the back yard of the house next to where they live (they just bought it and are remodeling), and wanted to have someone come over to get rid of it.  The next place over has a pair of druggies living in it, water and electricity are turned off/disconnected, their back yard is armpit deep in weeds, and the side yard is their refuse pile.  Village elders won't do anything about it, nor will the health department.  It is a breeding ground for rats so no wonder the snake was hanging out in the vicinity!

I think it made its escape before our neighbor's daughter dispatched it with a shovel, which she was threatening to do.
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 08:05:30 AM »
 :hairy :hairy

the Great Escape...Don't know how many times I have had to rescue Black Snakes/Rat Snakes from folks. They are usually unconvinced when I tell 'em that it's really a benefit to have the snakes around. I get a lot of satisfaction when I am able to remove a Copperhead or Rattler from danger. Feels like I am protecting both parties from an potentially deadly encounter.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
Snakey Stuff
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 01:30:53 PM »
Living in Arizona I've had my share of experiences with snakes and other reptiles. Multiple close calls but, fortunately, none with a bad ending.

Close call #1: When I was about 10 my friends and I were running and playing in the desert around their corrals. Taking a break I sat down on a fair sized log on the ground. My friends came up to join me and just before they sat down they jumped back and yelled, "look behind you".  There was a diamondback rattler curled up about a foot behind me. I jumped up quick. The rattler appeared to be sound asleep. He wasn't posed to strike and didn't move at all until someone poked him with a long stick. He was about 6 feet long and put on a good show once he'd been riled up.

Close (and stupid) call #2:  As a boy scout our troop was camping in the mountains near home. One of us found a large flat rock that wobbled one way or another depending on where we stood. Fun for us, until our scout leader discovered what we were doing, was the buzzing sound that came from under the rock each time we wobbled it one way or another. Rattlesnake was apparently in its burrow under the rock and we were disturbing it's nap time.

Close call #3: Listen to the dog!  Early morning's first task was to go feed and water animals. Usually I stumbled half asleep out the back door and wasn't awake until I got to the feed shed. This time I stepped out the back door but our dog got in the way and kept barking at something. Then I saw the rattlesnake coiled up and ready in the path just a couple steps away.

Close call #4: That's enough nature for me.  Shortly after my spouse and I were married we went fishing at Roosevelt Lake. The trail to the lake was down a fairly steep hill and through lots of cat claw bushes. (Yes, every branch is loaded with very sharp hooked claws, like a cat, but lots more of them).  I was leading the way with fishing pole and tackle box in hand. My fishing line got caught by the cat claw and I stopped in the trail to unhook it from the bush.  My wife walked around me on a little side path and continued down the trail. I got my line unhooked and started to take a step when I saw the rattler square in the trail, coiled up and loaded for a strike. He hadn't rattled at all. Another step and a half and he'd have nailed me. I backed up and went around.  We made it to the lake and just settled down by the water to get our fishing gear ready when a rather large scorpion wandered right through where we were sitting. My wife looked at me and said, "That's enough nature for me today. I'm outta here"  Never did git a chance to catch any fish that day.

In reality, rattlers aren't much of a problem. Just have to follow the rules my mom taught me early on - don't put your hands or feet anywhere you can't see.  :o
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 01:55:12 PM »
I neglected to mention another close call - not my own and not a snake, but close, a Gila Monster.
Gila Monsters are a large poisonous lizard, maybe a foot or so long, black in color with a striking orange pattern. Somewhat rare, I've never seen one in the wild while tromping around.  They are slow moving and don't strike like a rattler but just bite and hang on.

A friend of mine was deer hunting in the hills and walking along a cow trail he put his foot near a small bush. A gila monster bit at him. It got a mouthful of Levis outside his boot.  He had to pry its mouth open with knife and sticks.  He left it there and went on his way looking for deer.  A few hours later my friend returned along the same trail. Sure enough the same gila monster took another bite at him. Again, only getting a mouthful of Levis.

Hard to believe but my friend wasn't given to tall tales and who'd believe that one.  Far as I know that lizard is still there biting off more than it can chew.
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 02:11:56 PM »
 :hairy
Great stories, Sharpstick. Appreciate you sharing. 'em

I am far more fond of snakes (the poisonous ones included) than I am fond of rednecks and yahoos...

...one of my closest calls with a Rattlesnake came when I heard a pickup truck slamming on its brakes on the gravel road right outside my house. I stepped out onto my porch in time to see the truck backing up and again slamming on its brakes. I made it to the road by the time the driver got out with an axe to finish off a beautiful 5 ft Timber Rattler. He cut off the rattles and said something to the effect of that's one that won't get away.

Only the appearance on the porch of my wife and son kept me from starting something one of us would have regretted. It takes a real "HE Man" to brag about killing an innocent reptile with a 2,000 pound truck... ;banghead; ;banghead; ;banghead;
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 11:03:13 PM »
Well, Ray,  doubt if I will ever change your mind about snakes and I doubt if you will ever change mine.   Fact is, i just don't like the critters, period.
I am probably not so apt to dispatch them as I used to be, but...
And that's jut how it is.
John

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Spotted Bull

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 11:04:25 PM »
There is no such thing as a poisonous snake...

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 11:29:30 PM »
There is no such thing as a poisonous snake...

I can hardly wait to hear the punch line on that one, Bull.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life