Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Veteran's Day  (Read 517 times)

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Veteran's Day
« on: November 11, 2023, 04:48:02 PM »
Happy Veteran's Day to all who served.
Ms. Smoke and I went to a Vet's Day celebration today in San Luis Obispo.  It was good.  Had a chance to tour the Veteran's Museum and that was excellent.  They had a very diverse display of firearms, ranging from Civil War muskets up to AR-16's (I guess that's what they were.  No habla nuevo armas) and everything in between.  To top that off, the American Legion served a free tri-tip BBQ lunch.  What could have been a better way to spend the day than that.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Re: Veteran's Day
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 06:07:42 PM »
Went to a motorcycle meet. They had a nice little Vet ceremony.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 06:28:23 PM »
Thank You to all the veterans. :hairy

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 02:06:19 PM »
Worked in the yard.  Neighbor brought over some wood he had bucked up to firewood lengths so we stacked it in the wood shed.  It's green so will be good next year.  I certainly won't turn down free firewood!

Put a new front sight on the T-C PA Hunter, a T-C copy from Track.  I had to file and sand it down first because it was "as cast" and rough as a cob, then cold blued it.  This replaces a Lyman globe front sight which was way too tall and my shots were hitting a foot low at 25 yards.  I don't know when I'll get out to sight it in, hope it's close to what it should be.  And I put a new tip on its ramrod and also on the RR for the Hodgepodge rifle.  The originals were both filed down to go through the ferules so one wouldn't have to do the baton twirl before screwing on a cleaning jag but (to my eyes at least) they didn't look right without the bell shape.

Otherwise didn't do anything exciting.

John, I hear you about the M-16.  I was very disappointed when the Alaska National Guard took away our M-14s and gave us Mattel Toys instead....

Hope everyone had a good 'un.  Take care!  :yessir:

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 05:40:56 PM »
John, I hear you about the M-16.  I was very disappointed when the Alaska National Guard took away our M-14s and gave us Mattel Toys instead....

As we used to say when they were adopted, "You can tell they're Mattel, they're swell!  Yeah, right."
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life