Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: production trade guns  (Read 1898 times)

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 12:32:20 PM »
So, bottom line is: what kind of groups and at what distances are you getting with a ball. Oh, by the way the new issue of Backwoodsman Mag. has a good article on the Bug Out Gun. An interesting read on smoothbore trade guns. It even tells you how to make your own blackpowder if you can stomach the ingredients  :lol:  

Burch
Member #471 Expires 5/16/09
If I Gotta Explain It You wouldn`t Understand It

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 12:36:29 PM »
I shoot with a guy from time to time that regularly shoots out to 100 yds.  He regularly competes with the rifle gang using one of his Trade Guns.  BTW he only shoots smoothies.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 03:41:18 PM »
For hunting purposes you should figure to stay in the 50 yd range, some will do better but most are opneing up a bit for huting at 75 yds I have one that will do about 3+ in at 50 yds off a rest 4-5 in. offhand, add a rear sight and my other one is 3in at 60 yds off a bench and not much bigger offhand....sometimes...eyes are getting fuzzy for rear sights.I would not consider them practical for 75 yds shots on a regular basis most will find them somewhere in the ballpark I mentioned others do better.

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 11:34:14 AM »
Does anyone make a double gun with one barrel smooth and the other barrel rifled  hopefully a flintlock ?

Offline woodman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 12:37:43 PM »
I'm not aware of a production double with one rifled and one smooth. Some of the custom builders offer such.
  But for hunting you would need to check your local regs and make sure a double would be legal for muzzleloading seasons. Here in Colorado such a rig would be illeagal to hunt with.
 Woodman
Colorado TMA State Representative
Founding Member Uncompahgre Freetrappers
 associate member War Eagles
Happy Canyon Rendezvous Booshway
Tma Member #413 exp 1/21/11

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 12:50:43 PM »
if you shoot regular with a smoothbore(mine is  a 20g), you should be able to put all your shots on a paper plate at 75yds...practice a bit more and you'll be able to do that at 100yds...also this is from a rest or sitting position...you may be able to hit the plate fairly regular off-hand at 75yd, off-hand at 100yd maybe 3 of 5 shots....bottom line, shoot a lot, shoot regular, and shoot in all conditions/positions PRIOR to trying to hunt with a smoothie...
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 06:29:41 PM »
So what about having a smooth bore drop in barrel made for my GPR. Who does that sort of thing ?

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 08:37:18 PM »
well you work up a load and  a smoothy will shoot  real well .

i showed a couple targets  last fall  on a type D that i just finished for a fella

he printed those  his first time out  AND first time with a flintlock

http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.org/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=8959

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 09:14:30 PM »
Quote from: "Captchee"
well you work up a load and  a smoothy will shoot  real well .

i showed a couple targets  last fall  on a type D that i just finished for a fella

he printed those  his first time out  AND first time with a flintlock

http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.org/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=8959

I saw that and was trully impressed with how accurate you can get with a smooth bore.

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 08:04:17 PM »
Smooth bores are fun and can be pretty accurate with practice and working up a good load, most who try them get hooked from what I have seen, I just don't see them as a logical choice if a lot of your shot oppertunities are in the 100 yds range, but no one says you have to shoot at every deer you see, if you get a .58 rifle and work up a load for one of those modern bullets some folks like so much and add a spendy peep to the outfit you are likley to see deer out of the range of that rig as well. This hapens with anything you hunt with, it is kind of funny at times when we want a gun that will shoot out to 100 yds because a smaller bore is best at 50yds or so.    
You are still going to see deer that are out of your range, I have come to the point that I just figure shooting out to 50yds, one gun will easily do better the other probably would also, but if i don't kill the first deer I see I can hunt some more the next day