Traditional Firearms > Cap and Ball Revolvers

New Colt 1860; need help! :-)

(1/7) > >>

mark davidson:
OK, I am kinda new.  This weekend I got a brand new in the box 2nd generation Colt 1860 Army c@b revolver.  I have questions! First, it was made in 1978 and is new unfired in the box with all paperwork: what is it worth??? Before I shoot it I want to know what I really have and what it is really worth.  Next, what kind of balls and wads do I need to fire this baby up?  I think I only have 2F goex bp; will that work? Caps, I have only #11 caps; will they work?  If not where can I get the #10s?  Assuming I find that it is legal, I intend to use it for backup on deer or maybe a primary shot on deer if one is close and conditions are ideal. Any information you can give me will be appreciated. I am very experienced with handguns but very inexperienced with black powder handguns and have never owned a c@b revolver. Please assist in my education. Thanks in advance! :-)

R.M.:
I'd think long and hard about shooting it.
Just my thoughts.

Bigsmoke:
Ditto to what RM said.  They are considered somewhat of a collectible.
Anyway, according to my 4th edition of the blue book of Modern Black Powder Arms (which is a few years old and has suffered irrepairable damage by my sister-in-law's flea infested mongrel cur chewing on it) the standard issue 1860 NIB is worth $600.  The last MSR was $431.
They were made between 1978 and 1982 and 6,300 were produced.
I think they like .454 round ball and the Ox Yoke #4400 wads.  Fffg no doubt works best, but Ffg also could be used, although it is a bit coarse for the purpose.  You will probably find your most accurate charge to be in the neighborhood of 25 grains.
The 1860, 1861 and 1862 models Colt are no doubt my most favorite pistol designs.  I really like the sleekness of them and the 1860 sure feels good in my hands.  And who can ever say enough about Mr. Colt's famous, pattented disappearing rear sight.

mark davidson:
Thanks for the info. I am indeed giving pause to shooting it, but if I keep it I will shoot it as I really don't collect;  I like to shoot um too much. :-)  As for value, the "book" value seems to be way under what they are actually bringing on Gunsamerica and other  specialty forum gun lists.  Used ones are being bid on in the $700 plus range and NIB ones are bid on upwards of $800.  Bigsmoke, I especially appreciate the load data and info. about what ball to get and wad.  I have seen loads of up to 40 grains of 3F or pyrodex and have read lots about folks dropping one pyro pellet or tripple 7 pellet in the chambers.  I want to generate all the horsepower I can muster out of it safely as there is a good chance that I will shoot a deer critter with it sooner or later, hopefully sooner!  As for the rear sight, well that is a whole nuther story! :-)

jbullard1:
Mark
Forget about finding #10 caps in north Mississippi
I get several tins when I go to Bass Pro in Memphis
I shoot 454 balls and a Cabelas felt wad

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version