Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: New Colt 1860; need help! :-)  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 03:51:39 PM »
Quote from: "bigsmoke"

Mitch, I bet the 20 ga is just sweet with 35 gr Fffg in it.  I bet there is no noticable recoil, either.  You ever turn up the volume on it or just run sweet loads through it?

bigsmoke-on advice of the builder, 35gr 3f is as far as I've taken it...there is a picture of it here somewhere, it's brass/bronze for the barrel(steel breechplug)...when I called the builder after shooting it and told him my load, his words "that's definitely pushing it"...and 35gr is just short of a half measure for my fowler, makes it easy!!
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2009, 10:31:09 AM »
Well, Yesterday I took the Colt 1860 to a buddy to take pictures of it and put it on Gunsamerica to sell it. Cool as it is, I know what I will do with it, and the horsepower is just not there. A Walker might be better and a Ruger maybe even better. I doubt any revolver can generate the kind of killing power a big bore single shot will generate and I had rather have the thump than the other five shots.  If any of you all are interested in the 1860 let me know before it gets up on line and we will try to arrive at a fair price.

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2009, 06:28:42 PM »
Mr. Voyageur, I am an anachronism unacustomed to this brave new world of muzzle loading . . . used to shoot Civil War surplus . . . so haow in the name of whatever do you get the caps on the nipples without using your fingers?
I suppose that you will say use a capper.
So next question, is there a modern brand that will actually work?
I envision a capper full of caps detonating in my hand.
My own inclination, however I put the caps on, to avoid those brands (if still made) that have some detonating compound smeared on the inside of the copper cap, as well as under the foil.

R. Van Winkle
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst