Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Trade Gun or Fowler?

(1/7) > >>

Pinecone:
Okay...here is a question for all of you experienced smooth bore folks.  I am going to buy a 20 ga. smooth bore and am looking at several choices right now.  I am trying to decide between a Trade Gun and a Fowler like a Fusil Fin.  I have shot trad blackpowder rifles for years, but do not know much about the smooth bores.  What would you recommend and why?

Thanks!

Claudia

rollingb:
I have two 20's,... one is a NWTG with a 41" barrel, and the other one is an Early English Fusil with a 30" barrel.
I find myself using the Early English Fusil the most, but I think it's purely just a matter of weight and balance. Also, the shorter barrel is a little handier on horse-back, and in thick brush.  

mario:
Are you planning on re-enacting? If so, than your choice depends on you time, place and persona.

If not, than it's whichever you like the best.

The NW guns have a straighter stock, the French guns a bit of curve.

Mario

Pinecone:
I won't be doing any re-enacting...just hunting and shooting.  I have a passion for traditional bows and traditional blackpowder arms, so it only seems natural that I find my way to a smoothbore .

Claudia

Captchee:
well i would also add that  another issue is leaght .  a long barrel is alittle hard to get used to in the  swing of wing shooting . but once you have it  down , you shouldnt have a problem.
 myself i like both the long and short barrels
 as was already said , the NW guns are  strait and square to the comb .
 myself i like the frenchies or earlir english trade guns better

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version