Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Spilled Pea Soup  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
Spilled Pea Soup
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:11:19 AM »
I make mine from the liquid the Corned Beef cooked in with all the spices.

Put the liquid from cooking your corned beef in a 4 quart kettle.   Bung in a cup and a half or so of split peas, a chopped up medium onion, three or four chopped carrots, and a cup or so of chopped up left over ham as well as any cabbage and potatos left from the corned beef dinner.  I say ham 'cause there's never any left over corned beef around here.  

If you've got corned beef,  by all means, chop it up and toss it in.  

Turn on the slow cooker or put the soup  kettle on the stove. Add water* to an inch and a half from the top and simmer until the peas and veggies are soft.  This can be added to at will, but about the only thing more that I like in it is a teaspoon or so of cracked peppercorns.  

*In really cold weather I use milk instead of water.  Man, is that ever good!

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
Comment and ???
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 06:36:18 AM »
Three Hawks,
              Now that does sound mighty tasty! Don't want to mess with a good thing,but a cup of barley would  also add to the
dish IMO.
              As to my question would you share your recipe for
your corn beef. I am  :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
wheres the beef
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 06:50:55 AM »
Ya,ya, I'd make good use of it as well ! :toast  thanx, ridjrunr
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 09:28:44 PM »
I don't make my own corned beast,   I buy it from a butcher shop in Mountlake Terrace WA called K&N Meats.  It's a little spendy, at 4.50 a lb, but not much fat and they throw in a spice packet that is to die for.  The only thing I do is cook my beef in a HEAVY stainless steel skillet with a well fitting lid in barely enough water to come to the top of the piece of meat.  I don't want to cook the pickling out of the meat.  Then I use the liquor that remains to steam my quartered head of cabbage in, then I use it to make spilled pea soup.  

I do like barley, and sometimes use that instead of split peas.  Other things that make wonderful soup are lentils and yellow split peas.   Sometimes when I don't have enough of one thing, I'll toss in two or even three.   Soup's hard to screw up.  I don't think I've ever made the same soup twice even using the same recipe.   I consider most recipes to be "Benchmarks of Opportunity" in culinary excellence.  

Of course, every once in a while, one of my exercises in culinary excellence would make a starving coyote retch.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 03:47:45 AM »
Quote from: "Three Hawks"
I don't think I've ever made the same soup twice even using the same recipe.   I consider most recipes to be "Benchmarks of Opportunity" in culinary excellence.
Of course, every once in a while, one of my exercises in culinary excellence would make a starving coyote retch.

Three Hawk,
I know exactly what you mean by that last remark......and my
wife will attest to it. :lol:   :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 03:09:33 PM »
That's a nice idea, using the water for pea soup, would definitely layer in rich flavor suitable to peas...good show...
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 05:18:20 PM »
My paternal Grandma didn't wash dishes with soap until they'd been in this country for more than ten years.  In Norway they were so poor that the nourishment  from washing the dishes was used by putting it in the chicken's feed, or in the feed they gave the pig.  When I was little, she'd throw the dishwater onto the garden so it wasn't wasted. She made her own soap, too.  Gramma didn't throw anything away.  She even made Grandpa put the squeal from the pigs into toy whistles for us kids.

I seem to have inherited her genetic inability to waste food if I can avoid it.  I still scrape our dinner plates into the dog's dish before I fix his supper.  I cook the nasty bits they put in paper bags inside the chicken for chicken stock.  Grandma taught me to break up and simmer the chicken carcass,  parts, and left overs with salt, pepper, bay leaf and onion until the bones are soft enough to bite through easily.  Then she'd strain the whole potful  through a cheesecloth for soup stock, giving the bones and gnarly chunks to the chickens.  I give 'em to Ozzy.   The chicken stock I get that way is almost good enough to eat for soup just the way it is.  

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Offline Geezer in NH

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Spilled Pea Soup
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 08:03:31 PM »
OWWWWWWW. I will try this I love pea soup and can see the flavor