Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: New Ground Venison Recipe  (Read 1098 times)

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
New Ground Venison Recipe
« on: April 08, 2009, 03:12:51 PM »
I have been putting off grinding 12 pounds of very lean venison I have had since deer season closed. Well I got around to it last week and the results surprised me
12 pounds very lean venison
2 pounds smoked bacon ends and pieces
1/2 bag Legg's Mild Pork Sausage Seasoning
1 teaspoon ground sage
Apprx 3 tablespoons crushed red pepper

I ground all the meat and mixed in the 1/2 bag of sausage seasoning

Made a patty and fried it

Then I added 1 tsp ground sage and 1 tbl spoon of crushed red pepper

Mixed well and cooked another patty

Turned out pretty good but I added an additional 2 tbl spoons of red pepper, mixed and cooked another sample  

Adjust the red pepper and sage to your taste this is pretty warm

Took out the black iron skillet a little while ago and cooked up 4 patty's and had them for lunch
Excellent
Oh and you have to add cooking oil to fry these but should be much better on an open fire grill
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 04:37:44 PM »
I make a venison breakfast sausage that is similar.  I just buy low quality pork cuts and from it add about 2 lbs of home ground pork to 10 lbs of ground venison.  My spices are similar but secret!  I have not added bacon like you do, but I may try that to get a salty/smoky zest to it.

The amount of red pepper is according to how zesty you like your sausage!  Great for breakfast, pizzas or any combo meat dish.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 06:01:23 PM »
Sounds like a winner, Jerry
I can smell that sausage frying all the way up here in WA state.

I have always liked to mix Jimmy Dean Sausage (Hot) 50/50 with ground elk and venison....pretty popular around camp too.

Of course I always tell everyone that my recipe is some deep dark secret that has been handed down in the family since the days of the Knights Templar....and it seems everybody believes me. They keep saying, Yeah Russ, right!

I suspect that when it comes to good sausage making, my biggest problem always come down to the Sage...that stuff is kinda tricky!
I seem to waste a lot trying to get it "just right".

I'm going to print your recipe and put it with some others I've saved.

Something I've been thinking about, and I would like for you and the other guys to think about it too.
What do you think of the idea of a bunch of the good ol' boys from the TMA putting together a Cook Book of Wild Game and making it available through our Country Store...Sir Michael's Five & Dime Store.

(No harm meant! Sir Michael has done a bang up job with our little Country Store. :rt th )

The Snake must have a ton of this stuff on hand, or available, and I have a few, plus the members all have some they could contribute....put out the recipe with the members name, screen name, and email address....the entire book to be interlaced with photos from the Photo Gallery.
these are done up in a spiral type note book with a semi-hard glossy back cover with the TMA Banner and logo on it.

This kind of thing has been done as a fund raiser since God created little old women with their social clubs.

We need to bounce this off the Snake and see what he thinks...if you guys think something like this may be fun, we can then take it to the BoD and see how they feel about it.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Ya
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 06:35:51 PM »
Jerry, That sounds pretty tasty.This years deer went mild rather than wild.It was the first time I did my own cutting and grinding(also my first bp deer).It was mixed  about 1/3 bacon ends, 2/3 venison, and then the spices.In total, I did 1/2 my burger up as breakfast sausage,the rest no spice just bacon.

Russ,GREAT idea!! I  would think it would go over pretty good. :lt th

ridjrunr
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
You can count me in for my Holiday Wild Turkey recipe.  You just start the thread Uncle Russ.  Jerry must have a bunch and I know the west of Ol' Miss bunch would take on a challenge from the east side:

Could be several categories.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 07:11:47 PM »
I have a few good ones
Also some of my buddies in our club have some with deep dark secret ingredients

A big surprise to me was haw everyone came begging for my homemade Bread and Butter pickles and hand squeezed tomato juice :shock:

I will admit
For my freezer I only shoot young mature doe or small bucks that have not been run by dogs or otherwise excited

Bring on the cookbook
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member