Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Want to pour pewter in Traditions Kentuckey 2 piece stock  (Read 859 times)

Offline topknot

• TMA Forum Member
Want to pour pewter in Traditions Kentuckey 2 piece stock
« on: April 09, 2009, 04:22:29 PM »
I'm thinking about trimming a 1/4" off both stock pieces where they meet, then do away with the brass plate and in stall wood dowels instead of the steel pins. Next, hallow out a couple of small areas so the poured pewter will bond the two stock pieces.

Any tips, suggestions, comments welcome.

Thanks
topknot
topknot

TMA #381
RENEW 8/13/09

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
q
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:34:31 PM »
Is this a kit or a completed gun?
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 06:50:32 AM »
I wouldn't trim any wood to shorten the stock, but I would inlet  around the area in some sort of pattern [star points little humps,ect...] then pour. Good idea!
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline topknot

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 04:26:22 PM »
The rifle was a kit  just threw together and stained.
I have it all apart, sanding and fitting every thing.
topknot

TMA #381
RENEW 8/13/09

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 04:30:45 PM »
There's been a thread about somebody doing this exact thing. Might have been Captchee. There was photos to boot.
You might want to try searching for it. If I remember correctly, the job looked pretty good.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »
the pewter will not bond the two pieces , however it will cast a nice plate . also remember that pewter is soft  and  with recoil , it can compress . it also needs to be thicker for inlays or it will  warp and pull out of the bed

if you go down into the gun-building section , you will find a couple stickies on revamping and converting CVA rifles . one is on a pistol that i did  where i cast the pewter right to the stock . feel free to ask any questions you might have there .

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 08:30:31 PM »
As I remember that join in the stock is a brass plate about 1/8" thick with 2 pins in it to keep the stock more or less in one piece.  If you were to remove the brass plate thingy then drill VERY CAREFULLY for a pair of small  hardwood dowels and glue everything together wth a slow cure water thin epoxy.  This will shorten the stock the thickness of the joining plate necessitating some adaptations upstream.  

I helped a friend do that to his.  The stock pin lug was long enough that we just redrilled the lug, no fuss with the stock other than dowelling and gluing.  His nose cap required a new M4.1 hole be drilled and tapped in the barrel for the screw.   His rifle looked pretty good.  Even better from a couple feet away.  Well worth the fuss.

The way I dealt with my own was simply to sell it.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.