Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Survival kit- whats in yours?  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Sean McKown

• TMA Forum Member
Survival kit- whats in yours?
« on: April 18, 2009, 06:44:02 PM »
Didnt know exactly where to put, but this seemed fitting.  What do you guys put in your survival kits, OR do you even have one. Just looking for what other people think they need/want/carry/ neccesity or not.  Doesnt need to be PC either, as im talking about the save your @@@ mode. Stuff that is proven and works no matter what the conditions.

Here is mine: this goes everywhere I go

Mirror
2-  reflective emergency blankets
water purification tabs
military trauma dressing(we have guns and arrows, so cant rule out those wounds)
gauze,tape, bandaids
wire saw
bouilion cubes and hard candy
 military canteen cup(most of this is stuffed in it, and need something for water)
and firestarters, flint and steel, waterproof matches and vaseline covered cotton balls.

when hunting I also ccarry in pack:

jerky,  trail mix,etc
wool blanket and oilskin tarp
hunting knife(obviously) in addition to the small fixed blade that I ALWAYS have with me.
water
spare socks and gloves
550 cord(in addition to rope that is already on the tarp)
hammer pole hawk

anybody have different thoughts ort additons
Sean McKown
Nebraska TMA State Representative[/color]
TMA Member #182
exp 04/15/14 Just renewed via paypal
NMLRA

Eastern Platte Muzzleloaders
Pioneer Longrifles

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
survival kit
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:54:22 PM »
Sean, you forgot the tin flask with the snake bite medicine! ;)
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:35:54 PM »
Everybody has his own "survival" kit.  Mine is also my hunting bag.  I live and hunt in W. Wa. so water is very seldom a problem.  

Mylar bladder out of a 1 liter wine box, that's my water bottle.
GI Canteen cup.
Half a dozen beef buillon cubes along with a dozen or so tea bags in a zip lock sammich bag. (these are for comfort, not nutrition)
A small sealed bottle of "Potable Aqua" just in case.  
A Leatherman tool, a Swiss Army Tinker knife,
An International Orange 5'x7' waterproof nylon poncho/ground cloth/tarp.
50' of paracord because you can pull individual strands out of the matrix making approximately 30 miles of really strong string for lashing, tying, fishing and snares.
A pill bottle with 6 #8 worm hooks, 30' of 4# leader and some split shot.  (Fishing and trapping are for amusement.)  
There's also one of the best survival goodies on the planet, a K&M Industries waterproof match case containing REI Lifeboat Matches, it also has a high quality compass.  
Two Bic lighters, a lifeboat whistle, (it is unbelievably loud and easy to blow) and a couple of  5"candles.
All this fits easily into a small belly bag/fanny pack.  

My 2 gallon Glad deer liver bag contains nitrile gloves, 4 oz of liqud soap, several alcohol wipes and some bandaids, and my most recent addition, a cheap LED flashlight.  

When I leave the pickup, I toss in some granola bars, sardines, Vienna Sausages and two or three bagels.  

Every once in a while just for something to do, I dump it out on the front room floor to see if every thing's there and working.  The buillon cubes and tea bags do go stale.  

For fire starting, the flint, steel and dryer lint are fun demo articles.  For starting a fire in nasty weather when I really, desperately need it, I have Lifeboat matches, a 3" x 1" screw top tin of cotton balls saturated with vaseline.  For building a regular campfire, I have 2 Bic lighters and use some of the cotton/vaseline fire starter.  

Before I leave the house I make a "Flight Plan" kind of thingie.  I print a Mapquest map of where I intend to be with my approximate camp locaton circled in red ink and on the back a detailed description of whichever vehicle I'm using including the Lic. plate number.  A buddy of mine tought the "Flight Plan" was just silly until I asked him to have his wife describe his pickup without looking at it.    Now he does the  "Flight Plan" and vehicle description thing.  (She got both the make and color wrong.) Keep in mind that she will be very stressed and fighting hard to keep calm.  No sense making it any harder on her than it needs to be.

If someone has better ideas and stuff than I do, I need to know about 'em.

I'll be replacing my little stainless mug with a GI canteen cup, much more useful.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.