Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: What kinda Arkansas stone?  (Read 1086 times)

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
What kinda Arkansas stone?
« on: July 31, 2009, 06:44:48 PM »
Need to buy a new sharpening stone, sob, my old one gave up the ghost.  Didn't survive the drop offen the bench.  Now which Arky stone do I buy, soft, med or hard. I know some are for chisels and other carving steels, but I need a good gen'l purpose stone for my hunting knives.  My old stone was all gray and I used spit to whet it. Boy it would put an edge on a blade. sniff........... Thanks for yer support.  GH  :shake
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »
My suggestion is to get either a Medium India and use thin oil, mineral oil is very good, on it or get a medium grit ceramic stone and use water on it.  The ceramic is easily cleaned by simply washing with soap and water.  Barring physical damage it will last longer than the pyramids.

Speaking of oil, people have used every kind of oil available to man with good results. EVERY KIND.  I recommend pharmaceutical grade mineral oil.  It has no odor, it is dirt cheap, and it will never dry.  You can get 4 oz in a bottle labelled "Mineral Oil USP" at a drugstore for pennies, or 2 oz in a tin labelled "Honing Oil" for several dollars.  Same stuff, different label. You do the math.

During over 35 years as a professional wood boatbuilder, I tried every new and exciting thing to come along including Japanese "water stones".  The one still in my handbox is a Norton med. India about 6" X 1 1/2" X 1".   I've had it about 15 years and it still puts a shaving edge on any straight cutting tool.  Curved tools require curved stones.

There's a lot of hokum to be had on the subject of sharpening, with some advocating a great deal more "Technique" than necessary.

An edge is not improved by circular or wavy motions over the stone, just hold the blade at about ten degrees or a bit flatter, keep it even and rub.  Do this on both sides as evenly as possible until you have a wire edge.  Strop this off on a piece of soft leather or wood and you have an edge you can shave with.  Ceramic stones are particularly good as they do not hollow out over time as other stones do.   Diamond embedded stones are even better.

The purpose of liquid on the stone is to float particles of steel that have been removed from the blade away and keep them from filling the pores in the stone.  Ceramic and Diamond don't have this problem and can be used dry, with only periodic cleaning.

Some swear by natural stones, I learned long, long ago to swear at them.

Your mileage, as always, may vary.

Three Hawks
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:59:43 PM by Three Hawks »
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 09:18:53 PM »
Three Hawks you should do a short tutorial on blade sharpening,i cant put a good edge on a blade to save my soul.
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 09:47:52 PM »
Quote from: "david32cal"
Three Hawks you should do a short tutorial on blade sharpening,i cant put a good edge on a blade to save my soul.

I just did.  Set your stone on a piece of cloth on a firm work surface, a shop rag on the kitchen counter is good,  slather some light oil on it and spread it around with your finger.

Put the edge of the knife on the stone at a ten degree or flatter angle, hold it there using both hands if necessary and rub the edge evenly with about five or so lbs of pressure over the entire stone.  without pressure, nothing happens.  If you get a grey slurry in the oil, you're doing it right.   Wipe the stone, re-oil and do the other side.  Do this until you have an even wire edge the entire length of the edge, then strop it off by wiping backwards on a piece of soft leather or wood.   Pine works.   I use the palm of  my hand.  VERY CAREFULLY !  The important thing is to keep the blade angle even. Even is much more important than the angle.  

All the curlique techniques some guys go through only make keeping the angle constant much more difficult.  

Keep in mind that there are some knives which simply cannot be sharpened.  I've got a gorgeous little hand forged patch knife I paid far too much for that's like that.  Too soft.   Disappointing.

I hope this helps.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 09:59:48 PM »
how about steels,good or bad? i seem to be able to keep a sharp edge longer if i use a steel on it occasionally,would stropeing it on leather be better
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
stone
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 10:47:30 PM »
Next question Three Hawks, where can I buy a medium india stone? BTW,  thanks for the first answer.
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 10:52:21 PM »
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 12:39:08 AM »
Any of those in R.M.'s link would be excellent.  I've never used a steel on my camp,  belt or pocket knives.  For kitchen use I have a Fine grit DMT brand steel.  It leaves a scary sharp edge on my cooking knives.  

For my belt, pocket and camp knives a quick touch-up on the Med. India is all I do.

For an excellent selection of stones, and steels try Smoky Mt. Knife Works.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Offline M1Tommy

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 01:06:11 AM »
I'm no guru but I do live in the middle of Arkansas, on the edge of the Ouachita mountains actually, and have been around Arkansas stones a while.  

An Arkansas stone with the word "Surgical" or "translucent" in the title will likely be a very VERY hard and fine stone.  I have a couple and generally find them way too fine for my purposes.  They're good for me to polish an edge that I want to be extremely 'fine edged'.... which is more than most of my knives, etc. ... maybe say for a fillet knife.

I like to work a 'soft Arkansas' and a 'hard Arkansas' stone for my knives.  Some folk call them "Ouachita" or "Washita" stones.  
I agree with using a good oil on the stone, as I think it prolongs the stone's life considerably, although spit can be used (it is pretty oily stuff actually) in a pinch.  

I'd trust these folk, if I were to need a stone via mail-order.

http://www.hallsproedge.com/bench.htm    

HTH a bit,
Tommy
TMA member #383, exp. 02/28/2012
NRA member
Bikers For Christ, Arkansas, Member
Brotherhood of the Grey Beard Bikers, Member
Arkansas Confederation of Motorcyclists (sec.)

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
arky stone
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 12:03:17 PM »
Thanks guys, sound advice three hawks. That is the way I use a stone, have used side of my boot to strope after sharpening when I wasn't in my shop.  Had a lansky system given to me, pita. sorta works but too much monkeying around. Had my old stone in a wood fence on my bench so's I didn't have to chase after it. If the steel's not in the blade, the edge isn't either as three hawks said. Regards all GH.
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
sharpening stone
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 09:09:28 PM »
Thanks Three Hawks got a medium india stone off evil bay and it's a dandy. Box was so old  the label was yellow. Made by Norton, medium one side coarse other side 6 inches long. Hardly been used, but tonite when I got it I put some manners on my pocket knife.  :rt th Going to use honing oil steada spit. Seems like a better idea. Gotta a lot ketchin up to do on my knife sharpening.
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline attheedgeoftheworld

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 02:18:20 AM »
What about stone found in nature?