Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Straight razor questions  (Read 885 times)

Offline Sean McKown

• TMA Forum Member
Straight razor questions
« on: November 01, 2009, 01:33:39 PM »
Not sure if this is the rigth spot, but edged weapons seems close enough.  My mother just showed me a straight razor that was my great uncles.  SO I know it isnt that old, but this seemed to be the place to start anyway.

It is called  The pathfinder.     The box has The pathfinder on it,  hollow ground razor, Price 3.00 each.

Razor itself has The pathfinder on one side of the tang.  A. W. Wadsworth & son, Germany on the other side of the tang.  On the blade itslef it has Swedish Steel,  Hollow ground.

My mother was wondering if its worth anything.  Im wondering if it is any good, to possibly add to my gear.  Like i  said I know it isnt that old. Im guessing maybe 1930's-40's

Any help would be appreciated.   It is in like new condition with the box in very very good condition.
Sean McKown
Nebraska TMA State Representative[/color]
TMA Member #182
exp 04/15/14 Just renewed via paypal
NMLRA

Eastern Platte Muzzleloaders
Pioneer Longrifles

Offline LRB

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 02:23:55 PM »
Depends on how authentic you want your gear for whatever period you are gearing up for. 18th c. straight razors were most always flat ground wedge shaped, with a short tang not long enough, or barely long enough for a finger rest. You have to research razors to see if it would fit in to your chosen time frame.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 04:45:53 PM »
I've always been pretty fascinated with straight razors, even to the point of shaving with them on occassion.  Mostly at events.

Anyway, from what I have seen, the price of most of them pretty much hovers in the $15 - 25 range.  I think there is a section on straight razors in some of the antique books, and I am sure that a friendly antique shop could give you a current, up to date guess as to its value.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life