Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Flintlock fustrations, To many flashes in the pan, Questions  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »
mark , you need to learn to napp  your flints . you should be getting 50 to 75 and sometimes over 100 good solide shots from every flint

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »
Cap, Yeah, I know I need to learn to napp. I have been showed how but I stink at it. Sometimes I get a few more shots after napping and sometimes I just make it worse. At only a dollar or so per flint, I just figure that is part of the expense of shooting these things. If I get 20 shots per flint, that is still pretty cheap shooting. I will however try to learn to napp and do a better job but when I go hunting that baby is going to have a new flint in it. :-)

Offline graybeard

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 06:00:08 PM »
I had the advantage of some good advice from veteran flintlock shooters but still it was a hard way to learn.  However, now I rarely fire a cap gun and find my flintlock grows more reliable every outing.  graybeard
"If a man ain't hunting or fishing he's just frittering his life away"--Rancid Crabtree

TMA Member #588
Expires 04/02/2013

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 06:05:03 PM »
Has anyone here ever done a pictorial tutorial on knapping (kind of like a build-along)?  I have knapped some arrowheads a bit, but I have never tried doing my own flints.  It might be a helpful service to flintlock newbies (I know it would help me).
Member #424

Offline forest

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 09:27:35 PM »
And helpfull to me also
YBIC.  Forrest
    TMA # 640
    valid till 9/5/14

Offline nessy357

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 10:04:14 PM »
This might be of some help.

BC Canada Provincial TMA Representative[/color]

TMA member 326

Expires Feb 4 2011

Load fast shoot slow.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2009, 08:32:59 AM »
yep thats about it .
 the only thing i would add is to remember  when you sharpen a flint , the material comes off the bottom side . as such if  your lock prefers bevel up  then the flint will need to be flipped  every now and then .
 i also know a couple folks who carry small diamond  files to touch up the edge .
But personally , what Nessy shows is  the basic simple way  to start

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2009, 10:07:33 AM »
Lastmohecan, there may be an issue with the placement of the liner and the breech plug and there may be some work done there to insure a clear channel, you cannot do anything with a loanner but if your new gun does not work sometimes a V has to be cut into the face of the plug to connect the charge and the vent. This would not be a real issue, just tell Jackie to double check this configuration in case he has helpers doing some of his smithing

Offline Lastmohecken

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2009, 08:38:22 PM »
I checked the vent again, by sticking a 1/16" drill bit in the hole, and that is what it is, as I just slipped it in by hand, and it would pass all of the way to the other side of the barrel, so it is clear.

I have not had a misfire since I switched to 3f for primer powder, and except for one failure to fire the pan of powder, and that was caused by a dirty flint,  I believe. I hope to go hunting or at least find some time to shoot it some more, this weekend.

If it was mine, I would probaby take it out  to a #51 at least, but I recond I will leave it alone since I intend to send it back.

I may get some 4f and see how that works, but for now, I am stuck with 3f.
TMA # 496  8/16/09

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2009, 12:54:31 PM »
You may find the 3f works as well, I like it particularly in damp weather but I made my vent hole  5/64  and coned a bit on the inside, with large sparky locks many use this size hole or maybe a size smaller, some a size bigger.

Offline hawkeye

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2009, 05:30:45 PM »
All my touch holes are 5/64" except my Brown Bess which has a 3/32" hole. In a musket, the most important thing is to go off every time. Of course, I use 2f for both primer and main charge during reenactments. For range/hunting/target shooting, I use 2f main charge and 3f prime.
David M. Ely
Charter Member #141 Exp 1/11
=======================
"Third ball, haul..." Etherington's Coy 60th RAR

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2009, 09:43:25 PM »
While I'd like to use FFg in my main charge, with my .40 Pedersoli I get fewer flash-in-the-pans when the main charge is FFFg.

More convenient to prime w FFFg, don't have to mess with separate horn.
However, Swiss NulB is the fastest prime I know. On humid days, down by the Clinton River in SE Michigan, my pan fouling can get pretty moist, may affect the NulB

But to minimize Flash-in-pan I find loading with FFFg good, also prick the touchole with a sharp copper wire until I feel it grind into the charge.

The prime is going to bank or not, however it feels, IMHO, as you move around with the primed rifle.
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst