Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Flintlocks, if you could only own one?  (Read 3530 times)

Offline flintlock62

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2009, 05:52:09 PM »
Since I do not own a smooth bore, it would have to be my 62 Hawkens full stock.  A smooth bore would have the advantage of gathering foul, squirrel and rabbits.  But hey, I have taken a rabbit once with a round ball.  Luckily I shot it in the head!
Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.  - George Washington

Polititions and diapers need be changed often, and for the same reason.

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
(No subject)
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2009, 03:58:02 PM »
For me its easy--my Caywood Southern Mountain rifle. It shoots, it hits, I can lift it.

[/img]
Some time ago I damaged my left shoulder, the muscle involved in holding a rifle pretty much does not work. Happened a couple weeks after I got a new Caywood Type D French trade gun, brass mounted, bells & whistles. Still haven't shot it. Acquired a disgusting number of guns I still can't lift. Then, Lo & Behold, got onto gunbroker.com at a critical time and found a local Michigander with a Caywood Mountain rifle for sale. Hadn't wanted to go the $$ and long wait for a new one but could not resist. So, it is a .45 cal, 39" barrel,  weighs only 5 pounds. I can lift & aim it!! The lock sends enough sparks to set the rug afire. Didn't think I could see the front sight (Model 1940 eyes) but three bench shots 5/8" c.t.c at 25 yards indicated I might be doing something right. Now the steel targets no longer snicker when I come by, rather clang in a satisfactory manner. And for those of us with Mature Eyeballs, that rear sight is set down the barrel some 14" from the breech. Typical Kentucky is about 10", 11" for my Pedersoli Frontier and only 4" for Pedersoli/Dixie Jaeger.
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Offline Lastmohecken

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2009, 08:52:08 PM »
I really like your Caywood Mountain Rifle.  I don't live that far from Caywood, but I have never been over there, although  I have talked to him on the phone. I do remember his dad, from my highschool days, when he would come up to the AGRI shop and borrow the band saw, to cut out rifle stocks, back in the 70's.

A Caywood gun is pretty highly regarded by many in this part of the woods, but you don't see them very often.
TMA # 496  8/16/09