Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Suspenders  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 04:43:20 PM »
Braces or suspenders or galluses, etc., were what was worn to keep up your trousers. Belts were worn to hang stuff on.

One down side I've found with just cotton braces is that when they are sweat-soaked, they don't slide on your shoulder so when you are squatting or moving a lot, they put extra strain on the back buttons and can tear those guys out. Fortunately elastic suspenders came along in 1820 so my 1832 fur trader can wear them and be in period.

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline Mike R

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 04:35:55 PM »
I have seen crude ones made out of pillow ticking material--just sewn straps with button holes on both ends and knotted together at the back [sewn would be more comfortable].
Ch Mbr#53 ,dues in Feb

Offline Shawnee Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 09:52:13 PM »
Yes, I agree with Mike,
They are really simple.  Go to fabric store and get some cotton webbing.
  measure from your front trouser line over your shoulder to the center of the trouser line in back.   Make 2 straps
   Cut a slot in the ends and whip stitch a button hole.  Stitch  the two straps together crossing about a foot or so in the back like an x.
  Sew buttons to your breeches and off you go.  Or you can use a piece of cord in back thru the loops to make adjustments.
  Would really take less than an hour.   make sense?
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
Re: Suspenders
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 12:49:51 PM »
Okay, I know I am resurrecting a post from the past, but I figured it better than starting over. The success of my current diet leaves me looking for suspenders. I see panther has the "X" style, but for some reason I feel like I should have the "Y" style. Is one more correct than the other?

I am looking at putting together a persona for a red river creole/meti  prior to war of 1812, but most of what I see illustrated is 1850-1870.....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!