Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Lyman GPR patch and nipple questions...  (Read 1582 times)

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
caps
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 07:11:51 PM »
Thanks cap, I'm a guilty of putting the cap on the nipple and lowering the hammer slooooowly and pressing. Muzzle pointed to the ground of course. Have also used the eraser end of a pencil on my cap and ball to seat the cap.  #10 caps still avail here.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 07:45:59 PM »
Capt. , thanks for checking it out , I had a hunch that a steady preasure  wouldn"t be LIKELY to set it off ? I guess the key word would be impact . Don"t recall where I heard/read it , but according to the experiment , a 200Lb. mans shoe heel generated 1200 Lbs impact on concrete at a brisk walk , but just rocking back on the sme sq. cm area of thye heel would just register the persons weight +or- a few lbs.??? And the safty reminder is right don"t allow the muzzle to point at anything you don"t intend to shoot .
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 08:31:55 PM »
Back in the mid 1990’s I  was lucky enough to  be appointed by Mannington flooring as one to the top 1000 certified flooring Contractors  in this country .
Part of that was that I got a free all expense paid trip to  the  yearly nation flooring exposé.
 Think of it as  the private  sponsors car show held each year where the car companies come out and show what they are working on  as well as the new models for the next year  
 Now here is the funny part . DuPont had a  a sub floor material that they were working on .  The sign out front of the booth said .
: what weighs more  on your floor ?
 There was a picture of a sexy lady in high heals standing nest to this big elephant..

The answer . Well its that sexy lady . Her weight  generates un real compression values  when  confined to the ¼ x ¼  heal of her shoe .  Far more then that elephant  generates with its weight dispersed across its feet  .

They were actually going to use that  photo as a sales gimmick . . They had piles  on piles of  tri folds made up  with the photo and the question on the front .
 I think probably someone finally realized  it might not be to good of a comparison LOL  

Anyway funny story . hasn’t got anything to do with anything really LOL

Offline 2 Locks

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.MultiLakes.com
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 09:39:23 PM »
Here's the manufacturers site for that gun:
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/muzz ... -rifle.php
Scroll down to find the parts button.  I don't know how Lyman's stainless steel nipples compare to TOW's, but it is a no-brainer to get a nipple that fits as intended for that gun.
Dave Leonard
Member #429 Expires 4/15/14

Offline SAWMA

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 10:41:54 AM »
2 Locks is right, the 3 pack is cheap, and correct for the rifle. :-)
SAWMA

Every Animal Knows More Than You Do!
TMA #193
5/16/14

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 07:15:45 PM »
Thank you Capchee,for that bit of info,I have for years, used the hammer to ''fit ''the cap down on my nipple,MIND YOU,I always make sure the weapon  is in a safe direction,and or/downrange,Which,of course,I would alway's check in any event,when prepping my weapon.The nipples I presently use are all tight this way and if it is not done there will be a misfire as the first strike will be ''soft''due to the cap not being down tight.I have had nipples that were loose and cured this by shaving a bit of nipple hieght off which brings the cap down to the wider base .A file works great at this.
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609