Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > Trail Walks and Trekking

My Historical Trekking Equipment & Tools.

(1/5) > >>

Le Loup:
A TMA member requested I post some images of my gear, & Puffer said I could stick it wherever I chose! So I figured this is as good a place as any.
I carry the same gear regardless of the mode of travel, though these days I don't have horses anymore, so it is either on foot or by boat.

What's In The Bag on video.

This is my gunpowder wallet or bag. For extra long treks I will carry extra gunpowder in the bag. When it is empty of gunpowder, I carry spare (plant) tinder in this bag.
Documentation: "takes readily from the spark of a steel: but is much improved by being kept dry in a bag that has contained gunpowder" (57).

My brass trade kettle. If I remember correctly, it is about 7" wide by 4 & a half inches deep. It does not really take up much room in my small knapsack, because I fit my food bags inside of it.

If you are using a tin lined kettle, then I advise using a wooden spoon. Anything else is likely to damage the tin lining.

Roaddog:
Thanks for the picks. They are very cool.

Puffer:
??? You mention your "powder bag" & using it to carry "extra" powder on long treks. Interesting, this is a new concept to me

Any "safety concerns ??
Puffer.

Gordon H.Kemp:
As Puffer says , would like to hear more of the history of carrying powder in a bag . Is it somthig done by many folks over there or just a personal preference ?  Thanks for the photos .

cb:
While  not 18th Century powder bags, bags of powder, and powder sacks, show up on several of the RMFT trade lists - here's links to two of them....
http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&clie ... xsufj3grxk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version