Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Lyman GPR conversion  (Read 1134 times)

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
Lyman GPR conversion
« on: February 15, 2011, 03:47:06 PM »
I have a GPR 50cal. in percussion and wanted to convert it to flintlock. This thing shoots so well I hate to sell it off and just get a GPR flinter.  So can it be done ?

burch
Member #471 Expires 5/16/09
If I Gotta Explain It You wouldn`t Understand It

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 04:22:43 PM »
Guess the easiest way would be to replace the lock with a Lymna flint lock and replace the percussion breech plug with a flint one.  Else you would have to mill off the which-a-ma-callit where the nipple is located.  You might or might not have to relocate the passage to get the touchhole to line up properly to the lock.  Nothinng insurmountable, but could be a chore.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »
Quote from: "bigsmoke"
Guess the easiest way would be to replace the lock with a Lymna flint lock and replace the percussion breech plug with a flint one.  Else you would have to mill off the which-a-ma-callit where the nipple is located.  You might or might not have to relocate the passage to get the touchhole to line up properly to the lock.  Nothinng insurmountable, but could be a chore.

Why would I have to replace the breech plug  :?

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 05:12:56 PM »
It would also be nice to find a used barrel to have bored out for a smoothy. Any suggestions ?    What cal. barrel would I need to make a 20ga./62cal. out of it ?

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »
Quote from: "burch"
What cal. barrel would I need to make a 20ga./62cal. out of it ?

I think you just answered yourself.....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 05:57:39 PM »

Why would I have to replace the breech plug  :?

Because the GPR percussion breechplug will not work in a flinter.  If I remember correctly, (50-50 chance) you do not have a drum and nipple but you do have a patent breech.  Therefore you will need to change the breechplug.  Or mill it off.  If it has a drum/nipple arrangement, then I stand corrected.  Should just be able to put a liner in and go for it.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 06:13:37 PM »
I bet you would be time and money ahead and happier with a whole nuther gun in flintlock to go with the fine shooting cap gun you have.  A feller can't have too many toys I don't reckon. :-)

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 06:34:59 PM »
Quote from: "Riley/MN"
What cal. barrel would I need to make a 20ga./62cal. out of it ?

I think you just answered yourself.....

Let me `splain a little better.  I was thinking about buying a used Lyman barrel then have it bored out to 20ga/62cal. If Lyman makes such a barrel i`m in there but i`m not aware of them making one. So I was thinking about having one bored but i`m not sure if I need say a 50cal. or 54cal. etc.

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 06:39:05 PM »
Quote from: "mark davidson"
I bet you would be time and money ahead and happier with a whole nuther gun in flintlock to go with the fine shooting cap gun you have.  A feller can't have too many toys I don't reckon. :-)

I`ll go along with that but my reasoning for all this is I already have this rifle shooting excellent and really have no need for two of the same caliber so I was hoping to turn my tack driver into a flinter, keep my 50cal. barrel and have a 20ga. smoothy for it also. Good idea huh!!!!!!!!!   ;)

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 06:42:18 PM »

Why would I have to replace the breech plug  :lol:

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 07:05:50 PM »
I..I.. don't ..uh.. understaaand  this uh..non needfull or don't need thing...? don't we all...I mean every single one of us... need another firearm? Isn't this why we live...like air for b..breathing!A left arm-a right arm-a percussion rifle-a flint rifle?Am I wrong?.Can this be wrong? Are we as a group wrong?NO I DO NOT THINK SO!This can not be!Somebody please help me here!?
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Firewalker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 07:09:05 PM »
Quote from: "mark davidson"
so I was hoping to turn my tack driver into a flinter, keep my 50cal. barrel and have a 20ga. smoothy for it also. Good idea huh!!!!!!!!!   ;)

If you take the barrel off of the stock you may not have a tack driver with a new barrel.  As stated for what you would pay to have a barrel reamed and made to fit properly you could probably get a smoothbore or make one.
30 years ago we used to buy a Dixie flintlock, find an old gunstock and an old cartridge shotgun barrel. Then , tap the barrel and make a breechplug and tang, fasten it to the stock and Bobs your Uncle, you have a flintlock smoothbore. Isn't pretty but it worked well.
Firewalker aka Bob
TMA Charter Member #137

"Life doesn't come with a guarantee; eat your desert first." D. Kelman

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 08:27:53 PM »
30 years ago we used to buy a Dixie flintlock, find an old gunstock and an old cartridge shotgun barrel. Then , tap the barrel and make a breechplug and tang, fasten it to the stock and Bobs your Uncle, you have a flintlock smoothbore. Isn't pretty but it worked well

still do that today . if you read bill brockways , recreating the SXS shotgun , thats what he does .

the little NW trade gun i built for magpie a few years back .  yep center fire barrel
 back when i built my first  muzzleloader it was a old military 03A3.
 breeched the barrel. hed spaced the bolt .... and bobs your uncle .

but i would say , you better know what your doing  or you can end up with an issue

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 08:44:33 PM »
If I were you, I'd just buy a replacement Lyman Flintlock, and a replacement Lyman barrel. This way, you can have the best of both worlds, with the same stock.
Swamp
TMA Member #219 - Exp 9-1-13

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 02:17:34 PM »
We can't all be wrong!! More guns is better!!:-)  Besides, it saves time doing all that barrel swapping back and forth when you can just pick up a whole nuther gun and go play!! :-)