Traditional Firearms > Pre-Flintock Firearms

fuse lock question

(1/2) > >>

Captchee:
I was wondering folks .
 how does a fuse lock  get along at shoots ?
 anyone  having any problems with burning fuses and  carrying powder ?
 many of the shoots i go to dont allow smoking on the line .
 never thought about  how this rule would effect a fuse lock .

also how do you prim the pan ? so you remove  or put out the fuse every time you load .?????

Craig Tx:
Howdy Cap,

At one shoot, which was at a range, I left the match at the firing line and loaded on the bench and recalimed the match at the line.

According to "The Exercise of Arms" illustrated by Jacob de Gheyn.  The match is held in the left hand well away from the chargers.  Now I do have to modify the loading it that the priming pan is filled first.  To placate safety comcerns at a normal shoot, I perform it last.

And yes, the match is removed every time the load procedure is initiated.

The de Gheyn manual is readily available.  If you "google' de Gheyn you'll also get examples of the plates.

With my pike and musket group we light the match at the beginning of the manouver, and don't extinguish until the manouver is done.  Its never bothered me as all the powder is either in the chargers, or the priming flask which is on my right side.  The match is in my left hand and well away from the powder.  I'm more concerned about accidently burnin' my doublet, or sword hanger.

The procedure is really very safe, or it wouldn't have been employed for so many years.  However, it's not worth the arguement with safety officers.

Craig

Gordon H.Kemp:
Great information ! I have regressed from cap lock to flint , and who knows ? if I"m around long enough , may take another step back in time .

Captchee:
thank you Craig for the info.
 i wasnt really all that concerned about the actual safty , as much as  issues i might run into  with safty officers  lol

i was sure thinking about giving  matchlocks a try Gorden .
dont get me wrong , i do love my flintlocks  .
couldyou emajion the look on the cap lock guys faces  LMAO . they get grumpy enough when beat by a flintlock  

Craig Tx:
Well, all that bein' said I haven't taken it on a trail walk yet...

But given the crowd and safety officers I usually shoot with I'd expect a coupla frowns, and a "don't do anything stupid" warning.

Interestingly enough in May one of my clubs is havin' a special matchlock shoot...  Of course there's only two of us with matchlocks...  

Craig

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version