Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > Trail Walks and Trekking

Protecting your flintlock on longer Treks

<< < (5/5)

Longhunter:

--- Quote ---Fellows,

I was wondering how you protect your rifles on longer treks, if at all?

--- End quote ---

When I carry my rifle in inclement weather I use an Elk skin case. It's thick enough to keep out rain snow and dirt and it's soft and pliable so that it rolls up in a haversack or pack.

huntinguy:
I realize this is a flintlock discussion... And I will get mine finished if things will STOP piling up in front of it.... GRRRRRR and then I can go hunting with it.... But.

When I hunt with my caplock, I just keep it under my poncho. Seems to stay dry. And the sights don't get waterlogged.

Hmmm, I am thinking I am not being PC here.... ...... I will go hide now.

shootrj2003:
Keep well in mind that a rifle in those days might have been the most powerful weapon but once fired it was a club there’s why the two pistols,three knives a club and tomahawk then teeth fist an finally feet

Winter Hawk:
While on the Thorne Bay Ranger District (Prince of Wales Island) of the Tongass National Forest in Alaska I shared office space with Jim Baichtal, a dyed-in-the-wool muzzle loader fan.  With the amount of rain there (around 150" per year, IIRC) I asked him how he kept things dry.  He said he carried his gun in a wool or leather sleeve, then pulled it out just prior to taking his shot.  Probably not as fast to get into action as other methods but it worked for him.

~Kees~

toot:
I put a dab / gob of grease, CRISCO, around the closed frizzen and a greased cows knee. works for me in snow & heavy rain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version