Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > Trail Walks and Trekking

Protecting your flintlock on longer Treks

<< < (2/5) > >>

Rasch Chronicles:
Ok, that's what I had in mind. I just didn't know.

Having read That Dark and Bloody River recently I assumed that whilst on the move it was always in hand, just like here for that matter. I suppose that the mental difference is that now-a-days you're probably carrying what amounts to a custom gun, vrs back then when it was a tool for survival.

I am going to have to study far more into the era in order to determine what constituted a "working man's" rifle. I really like the Tennessee rifle's simplicity and flowing lines, and I could see building one in 45- 50 as a meat gun.

Thanks again fellows!

Best Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Lions in the Yard!
?O??? ????!

mario:

--- Quote from: "Rasch Chronicles" ---I am going to have to study far more into the era in order to determine what constituted a "working man's" rifle. I really like the Tennessee rifle's simplicity and flowing lines, and I could see building one in 45- 50 as a meat gun.

--- End quote ---

I like the TN/Southern rifles as well. But they are too late (1790s +) for what I do (pre-1783).

What era are you looking into?

Mario

Loyalist Dave:
You might want to look at a Cabin Creek Pennsylvania Mountain Rifle..., ill named, but avvery simple, a working man's gun.  Very accurate too.  

LD

mario:

--- Quote from: "Rasch Chronicles" ---...a pretty much weather proof rifle,
--- End quote ---

They issuing AKs these days?  

Mario
Kalashnikov devotee...

Rasch Chronicles:
Fellows,

First, let me thank you guys for taking the time to "converse" with me!

To be honest, I am more of a firearms buff, and only now am I delving into the different "periods."

I am fascinated by the F&I war era, but the western expansion through and over the Appalachia is fascinating too! I lean more towards the latter as exploration is far more interesting to me. (I guess I am tired of warfare, historic or otherwise.)

Having said that, I am slowly but surely acquiring parts and tools for a broad range of traditional firearms. I have my Chambers NE Fowler which will be fitted for a bayonet, something that a frontier militia man might have owned in the 1760s. Then I would like a Virginia rifle as a representative firearm of the American Revolution. Moving forward in time I have a real like and appreciation for the Tennessee style rifle. I could see myself making several in different calibers. To round out the time frame, I have to have a Lewis and Clark 1792/1803 rifle!

But one thing at a time! I tend to get too far ahead of myself, and I need to get outta here before I can travel “there”!

In thinking about this now, and talking with you alll, I think I will study the 1770s through 1790s and see where that leads.

Thanks again fellows, I really appreciate you time!

Best regards,
Albert “The Afghan” Rasch
Real Men Hunt
?O??? ????!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version