Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: New Eyes  (Read 703 times)

Offline FlintSteel

• TMA Forum Member
New Eyes
« on: August 05, 2012, 01:06:36 PM »
Had cataract surgery in my left eye about 2 year ago. Doctor said right eye wasn't ready yet. Well time finally came, and just had my shootin eye fixed. Things are really starting to sharpen up nicely. Haven't shot with it yet, it's only been 5 days, but I really can't wait. Shouldered my rifle a few times and that front sight is  bell clear and the rear sight is slightly fuzzy. Before the front sight was fuzzy and glary and the rear sight was sharp and that was with prescription lenses.

I'll let you know how things go.  :happy
Michael Markey
TMA Member #271  Exp 07/09/2013
National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association
National Rifle Association
Contemporary Longrifle Association

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
Re: New Eyes
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 01:44:24 PM »
Please keep us posted and you give me hope my friend.  I am due for the same in both eyes in a few months.

I have been blind as a bat my whole life and it has been a challenge to shoot both gun and bow - which are my favorite sports.  Now along with Diabetes I have cataracts coming on.  The good news is that my Opto tells me that these new lenses they can put in along with the surgery will give me a vision that I never have imagined before.

Because I am getting old.....  I will still need reading glasses...  but PTL, I may be able to shoot without glasses.  What a joy that will be in cold and wet weather!

I will pray for your full recovery my friend and let you all know when it is my turn.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 03:54:29 PM »
FlintSteel,
Sounds like good things coming.  It's nice to be able to see what the sights looks like.
Strangely enough, I have never had a problem seeing both the front sight and the rear sight.  About 20 years ago, the nice people at the driver's licensing place suggested that if I would like to renew my license, I would first have to get glasses.  I was a bit nervous about that, as I was afraid glasses for distance would mess up my near vision.  Turns out the sights are far enough away that there is no problem.  It was amazing to be able to see targets that before were just blurs.
Then a funny thing happened.  My distance vision started to improve.  At this point in time, I no longer have to wear glasses to drive, and I have stopped wearing them for shooting, just wear safety glasses.  It's really strange how our bodies will tend to hear themselves.  Sometimes, anyway.
Anyway, glad to hear of the improvement.  Good on ya'.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:08:31 PM »
Ain't them replacement eye balls the greatest!!!! I had my eyes done about 5 years back and I am shooting my Bullseye Pistols and all without all the optics I used to wear. And I can finally hold my head up as the old prescription weighed a ton and a half. Great---"Doc" :hairy
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang
Artillery the King of Battle
St. Barbara-Pray for us !

NRA Endowment Life

Charter Member #104-10/22/15
"JOIN THE TMA TODAY"

Offline FlintSteel

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:33:14 PM »
Thanks guys

Fletcher, good luck with your surgery. It really is pretty low risk surgery, one eye at a time, takes about 1-1/2 hours in and out. A little scratchiness for the next day or so then things clear up well. The thing that really was noticible right off is how much colors changed. Cataracts tint everything yellow, and when the implant lens is in it's real clear no tints. "You'll wonder where the yellow went". I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Readers for up close, the off the shelf variety. But beyond my arms length is crystal clear.

Bigsmoke, I was like you. Wore glasses for distance for a long time. Then i started doing graphic design on computer instead of on the drawing board. My vision got better, and didn't need the glasses any more, till the Cataracts started kicking in making my nearsightedness worse and worse. Both eyes were not ready at the same time, so I spent the last 2 years with one distance eye (the corrected one) and one nearsighted eye (my natural eye, my right eye) it about made me crazy. Was getting double vision, reading was very dificult. All that problem seems gone now.

Voyageur, Right on man! My wife had both her eyes done about 3 years back. She was a long time glasses wearer, from childhood, only wears readers now. It changed her whole attitude, it's truly amazing.

I am so excited that I can't wait to shoot. But I just can't seem to fit in a shoot date till after the CLA show. But it's looking (no pun) really good. More info later.
Michael Markey

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 04:53:46 AM »
Going in Thursday morning  myself to have the cataract(s) in my Rt eye removed.  A tad twitchy about it, after all someone's coming at my EYE with a great bloody scramasax. Probably all rusty and dull too.

We'll see how things work ouit.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline FlintSteel

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 11:40:02 AM »
Three Hawks, Have no fear, much less stressful than going to the dentist for a dental checkup, and totally painless. A little scratchiness followng the surgery for the rest of the day and maybe some the next day. The worst part of the entire procedure is taping the shield over your eye when you go to bed for a week. You won't regret it.  :happy

Still haven't been to the range, but I'm expecting great things there. No more prescription  lenses for me. Readers from the store for close up.
Michael Markey

Offline FlintSteel

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 10:07:55 AM »
Finally got to the range for some shooting. It was sooooo dang hot and humid, I thought I was melting. Shooting was good, no prescription glasses, tried to wear my safety glasses but they kept fogging on me, so I cautiously did without. Here's the results, rear sight just slightly fuzzy, The wide V helps that. Front sight was sharp, and target was sharp at all ranges. All things considered I things turned out well. Now if I could only learn to hold the dang rifle a little more steady.
Michael Markey

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 09:19:08 AM »
Dear Mr. FlintSteel: You are hereby officially banned from comin to the ONWR shoot we hold each year at Nobber's own Coyote Ridge range in northeast Indiana. The last thing any of us need is for someone to show up who can really shoot well! Ya'll just stay down south and have your own shoot'n contest so'n we don't get embarrassed to bad!!! Good Luck on your upcoming huntin" season's. Buzzard
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Offline FlintSteel

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 09:57:28 AM »
Buzzard,
Have no fear, just because I can see better now don't mean my shootins improvin. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I appreciate the sentiment. :hairy
Michael Markey

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 11:14:54 AM »
Yeah that's like buying a $2000 new target pistol and expecting the majority of the shots to tens and nines---only it don't usually work out that way, do it?   "Doc"  :hairy
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang
Artillery the King of Battle
St. Barbara-Pray for us !

NRA Endowment Life

Charter Member #104-10/22/15
"JOIN THE TMA TODAY"

Offline BGRooster1

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 11:10:54 AM »
It only improves your ability to see how bad of a shot you are without having to walk up to the target.

Offline huntinguy

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 12:22:20 PM »
Quote from: "FlintSteel"
Shouldered my rifle a few times and that front sight is  bell clear and the rear sight is slightly fuzzy. Before the front sight was fuzzy and glary and the rear sight was sharp and that was with prescription lenses.

Rear sights? guns still have rear sights??? I though they took all those off a few years back!!!!  :laffing
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »
g[size=150]g[/size]ood[size=150]d[/size] t[size=150]t[/size]o h[size=150]h[/size]ear[size=150]r[/size]

8)  8)
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 09:57:24 PM »
Quote from: "BGRooster1"
It only improves your ability to see how bad of a shot you are without having to walk up to the target.

Now there's a man with real vision.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4