Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Flintlocks are evil.  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
Flintlocks are evil.
« on: July 13, 2012, 10:51:36 AM »
They really are you know.  They are diabolical contraptions intent on embarassing you and causing you grief.  For instance, have you ever notice that the odds of a flinter misfiring are directly proportionate to the number of interested spectators watching?  This seems to be the Muzzleloading Corollary to Murphy's Law.  I fired multiple shots from my new flintlock smoothbore yesterday.  My friend William fired it.  Very fast ignition every time.  Then a work crew showed up on the place and a couple of the guys were interested in seeing the gun fire.  I loaded one last shot and the gun misfired, not once but twice in a row.  Only after my face was completely red did it deign to fire on the third try.  Of course I'm sure that by then the two guys were thinking they would never want to own such and unreliable type of firearm.  I'm certain I could go out this morning and shoot all day without a single misfire provided I was alone or at most in the company of other flintlock shooters.  Perfect ignition every time.  Unless a spectator were to show up.  Back in my unmarried years it seemed that if an attractive young lady showed interest in my flinter the gun was absolutely guaranteed to become completely incapable of being fired until she lost interest and wandered away.  It's really difficult to come off looking like an interesting competent male when you can't get your gun to fire.

A flintlock is a simple device.  Right?  What if I told you that they are proof positive that Quantum Mechanics works?  It's true.  I've seen the evidence.  So have you if you think about it.  A flintlock gun can cause a charge of powder to be instantly transported into another dimension of space and time.  You KNOW you poured that powder down the barrel before running a ball or shot load down after it but somehow the powder disappears between the muzzle and breech.  Being the evil contraptions that they are the odds of this happening increases in direct proportion to your need for the gun to work.  Like when you are firing in a timed competition where you have a certain number of minutes to load and fire a given number of shots.  I've noticed also that the chances of this Powder Teleportation Event (my term, I just invented it) happening increase toward the end of the string of shots when you are feeling the pressure of the seconds ticking away.  How does the gun know?

As if any further evidence of the diabolical nature of a flintlock were needed, try this.  A flintlock can loosen at least one of its own screws.  It's usually the one that clamps the jaws of the cock down on the flint.  My first experience with this came when I was squeezing the trigger while looking over the sights at one of the nicer deer I had ever seen.  As the sear tripped and the cock began to fall I caught a brief glimpse of something sailing away from the lock.  The metallic sounding "clack!" that happened instead of the shot I expected told me that the unidentified flying object was the flint as it dissolved its partnership with the rest of the mechanism and departed.  This wasn't the only time I've had this happen.  I once stepped up to the line in competition and had the flint fall out when I started to pull back the cock.  Really messed up the old rhythm of load-aim-fire.  Then there was the time when there was a young lady watching me.  I cocked the gun, shouldered it, and heard her say "Your rock fell off".  Need I say more?  Flintlocks are evil.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
Re: Flintlocks are evil.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »
Been there; done that.  I will mention, though, that if you sell your soul to the devil of gray smoke, your ignition will become very reliable. :hairy
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 08:46:49 PM »
nah - inlines are evil, flintlocks have 'personality'
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline forest

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 08:59:03 PM »
And that is why we love them so much.
YBIC.  Forrest
    TMA # 640
    valid till 9/5/14

Offline rickevans

• TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:52:39 PM »
Personality Disorder. That is a fine name for a new rifle...
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 01:20:39 AM »
The reason why the flintlock is so evil is because the percussion lock is so reliable.
Feltwad
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken house door

Offline No Deer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 78
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 08:55:26 AM »
They are not evil, they are like your unruly child, just needs a little extra tender lovin care  :bl th up
Life is too important to take seriously.

TMA Charter member #78
Valid until 8/16/2015
President, Lansing Muzzleloading Gun Club
Visit us at: Lansing Muzzle Loading Gun Club

Offline russ t frizzen

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 11:00:31 AM »
My favorite flintlock is named Miss Fire...
TMA Charter Member #29
N.M.L.R.A. Member
NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 02:18:06 PM »
On a serious note, what has always amazed me about flintlocks is that they work so well.  I shot again yesterday and had not a single misfire in several dozen rounds.  Of course, I was alone with nothing to distract me.  That is the real truth about flinters, they demand your attention.  Load them correctly and knap the flint as needed and they will perform at least as well as a percussion.  I can't prove it but I believe I have had more misfires from percussions than a flinters over the years.

Storm
Member #632

Offline russ t frizzen

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »
In truth, I have had more mis-fires with percussion guns than flintlocks--perhaps because I tend to prime very carefully with my flint guns.
TMA Charter Member #29
N.M.L.R.A. Member
NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline FlintSteel

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 11:07:36 AM »
LMAO, Maybe it needs an Exorcist? :lol:
Michael Markey
TMA Member #271  Exp 07/09/2013
National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association
National Rifle Association
Contemporary Longrifle Association

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 03:37:58 PM »
"Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert."
Member #400, expiration 22Jan14
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 03:57:25 PM »
Biliff....The angel who pees on my lock is likely to learn that I also have a scalping knife.
Member #632

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 07:17:13 PM »
I guess that answers the speaking in tongues......... :oops:
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 03:27:11 PM »
You really ought to post a picture of your new problem child so everyone here can see the evil that you are dealing with-LOL!

Wm.