Traditional Firearms > Cannons

Coehorn Mortar

(1/2) > >>

rickevans:
I have been pondering a mortar for a while now, and I am looking at a Koehorn sort of design sized to launch golf ball sized projectiles. I have a barrel on the way, looking for ideas on a base design.

rickevans:
I have the barrel,now searching for some base plans or pictures.  TRR IV is gonna have some artillary this year.

Stormrider51:
Rick,
Given that the Coehorn was designed to be carried into position by four men and had no wheels, I'm thinking 4"X4" timbers spiked or screwed together.  The hardest part would be the elevation wheel.  The straps that hold the trunions in place would be a fairly easy forging job using 1/4" stock.  There are several sketches available online.  Or maybe I'm missing your question altogether?

Storm

Stormrider51:
Or maybe something fancy like this?  http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/cannon.html

Storm

rickevans:
Yeah, Storm I have seen that one. WAAAYYYYYY too fancy for the likes of TRR.  I am going to get a nice hunk of white oak, and make a good solid base from it. Forged straps to secure the trunions and may be some straps on the base keep it outa the dirt.  This is a "scaled back" version, so I will keep it sized for one man to tote. As soon as I get out Mexico (again) I'll get on it.

May be I can find a big hunk of desert iron wood here in Sonora...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version