Craftsmanship > Antiques and Treasures

old screw tip horn

(1/1)

ridjrunr:
While on a family vacation this past July, I picked up a few old horns along the way. This is one of them. The removable tip is turned horn and a pine butt plug.  Its the first older screw tip I have ever found, but dont know HOW OLD it really is. The seller did say that this one and a couple others I bought were originally located from E. TN. but, I bought them in TN near Shilo.

Rev:
Cool!

rickevans:
Interesting primitive horn there. Can you post a pic of the rings for the strap?

ridjrunr:
Rick, I am on my lunch hr. at work but I'll try and find the macro setting on the good camera when I get home. I suspect they are a more modern addition and am guessing that the big hole in the pine plug accepted a tapered finial, accomadating one end of the strap and the other end of the strap held behind the screw tip at the smaller diameter. But... that kind of counters having a screw tip in the first place so??

I can post other horns later if interested. Till then, I'll mention one I didnt buy, much larger with worm holes etc and higher priced, but the thing that was strange was it had a cork butt plug. I wish I would have taken a picture. That was weird,never saw or heard of cork being used before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version