Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: My favorite revolvers  (Read 1480 times)

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
My favorite revolvers
« on: January 07, 2013, 08:38:23 PM »
These are my favorite of all the cap-n-ball pistols.  The 1858 Remington is mine and the 1860 Colt I gave my son for Christmas.  

I have done a tune up on the Remington, polished all the moving parts, lightened and shortened the trigger pull, and it is a sweet shooter.  The groups are nice and tight.  The point of impact is center and low.  That's an easy fix to file the front sight down and raise the poi.

The Colt is pretty smooth.  The trigger has quite a bit of creep, but I can fix that.  It is shooting good groups but the point of impact is about 18 inches high.  Where can I get a taller front sight?  Or do any of you have an easier fix for that?  I don't think I want to adjust the rear sight / hammer.
Steve Sells

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
Re: My favorite revolvers
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 09:23:43 PM »
I have the Pietta New Army also, and it shoots very well as is.  My trigger is pretty light and smooth as is also, I guess I got lucky. Just got a traditions loading stand(for the cylinder) so that will make life easier. I have one spare cylinder. Nice pic!
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:06:33 AM »
I've been thinkin' of moving up and getin' a wheel-gun,... either one of those would fill the bill nicely.  :rt th
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline prairie dog

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »
I did tune up the Colt last night. I also made adjustments to the hammer sight to raise the poi.  There wasn't much wrong with this pistol, I just did some minor re-fitting and polishing of the friction bearing parts, a little work on the trigger and sear, and fitted the bolt to the cylinder stop notches.  She locks up tight, the trigger is about 3 pounds and crisp, and it's smooth as glass.

:P

My son loves it!
Steve Sells

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:58:23 AM »
I guess I forgot to mention, that I did pick up a Remington 1858 about 3-4 weeks ago.
I haven't shot it yet, but I did make up a cross-draw holster for it.
I'll have to post some pictures of it one of these days.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 01:08:07 PM »
What would be your choice (anyone) if you had to choose just one?   I need another one and was thinking of maybe getting a smaller version of a revolver.  I don't want to go below .36.  I've owned, in the past, an 1858 and a R&S.  Both were exceptional but a tad too big.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline prairie dog

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 05:19:51 PM »
IMO the Remington 1858 is the best revolver.  It has the most potential for accuracy, the best mechanical design, the strongest frame, and easiest cylinder change.

But those 1860 style colts sure are pretty.   :P
Steve Sells

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 06:31:57 AM »
Myself it’s the 1860 . While what prairie dog
 says is true  the steel framed 1860’s  design is still strong enough to  withstand  most but the heavy loads of today’s smokeless powder .
  Now that’s not to say that the top strap design on the 1858 isn’t stronger , it is . But that is an added  consequence of the change in design to allow a quicker change out of the cylinder ..
 Personally I just never cared for the  top strap designs. To ne the lines of the 1851  through 1861  are far more graceful and thought out