Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Light draw weight bow arrived  (Read 1453 times)

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
Light draw weight bow arrived
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:34:50 PM »
Haven't shot a bow in over 4 years due to a shoulder problem, but did not want to go thru another Rondie season without joining in on the fun.

Fletcher made me a light poundage hickory bow (31lbs) and a dozen cedar arrows spined for the lighter draw. Figured that was about as much draw as I could handle.

Caught a quick break in the weather so I ran out back and flung a few arrows. Probably broke a bunch of city ordinances doing it, but nothing snapped in my shoulder so I'm on my way!

Member #400, expiration 22Jan14
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Light draw weight bow arrived
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 08:57:51 PM »
Sounds like fun.  :happy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 12:34:12 AM »
I was drawing one of Fletcher's 55# @ 28" on Thursday and my right shoulder knows I did something....maybe even did something wrong.

Since last September when I discovered I have torn rotary-cuffs in both shoulders.(From lifting the trolling motor batteries in and out of the boat last year.) I did Physical Therapy from Sept. up into December, when I dropped out.
My Physical Therapist and I were talking about Bows & Arrer's since she is some kind of Expert Bow Shooter in the Nimrod division of the Ladies Eastern State, or something like that..... I asked her what she thought  about me trying it again and she said "great! That's the best exercise you can do for your your shoulder, if you can do it."
"Shoot the bow a dozen or so times a day for six days a week and I think you won't need to come back here"
was her very words.

Well since my wife had an operation on her spine on 7Jan, and another one five weeks later, there has been little time for me to shoot that bow....I shot it a few times when the weather was real nice, but certainly not everyday like I was supposed to.

Anyway, since I haven't been doing it regularly, when I do get around it, 55# ain't so light anymore, and I really got to bear down to get a full draw and anchor point.....well, I think I might have done something bad on Thursday with drawing that bow, so I got a call in to my Orthopedic Doctor and he will see me on Tues.

Getting old ain't for sissies, and it darn sure ain't for someone who doesn't have good insurance!

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 12:00:13 PM »
I gave up archery 20 years ago because of a bad rotator-cuff.  I eventually had surgery and fixed the shoulder but didn't get back to archery until recently.  Rendezvous is what made me try it again.  Anyway, I have a 60 lb Osage/bamboo bow.  I just started out slow, only shooting a few arrows (5 or 6 ) every other day until I strengthened the shoulder and back muscles.  

I am up to shooting 20 or so shots before I feel tired now and I am hitting my mark pretty consistently.  I understand what it's like getting old.  It ain't for sissies.
Steve Sells

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »
Bill, you didn't say exactly what your shoulder problem was....don't tell me it was also because of a torn rotator cuff?  :oops:

Looking back over the years, I don't recall "shoulder problems" being such a major problem.
Today, it seems that many folks I know has some kind of shoulder problem, but that could be because, for the most part, we are all just a bunch of old geriatric wannabees....at least some of us are.    

prairie dog, I certainly don't want to hijack Bill's post, but I would like to see some pictures of that Osage Bamboo backed bow you've got, maybe in another thread?

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 01:50:19 PM »
Bill, you didn't say exactly what your shoulder problem was....don't tell me it was also because of a torn rotator cuff?  

No, it's a pinched nerve that runs out under the shoulder blade and feeds the first three fingers on my right hand. Resulted from turning a rib. When my fingers start tingling I know it's time to stop whatever I'm doing.
Member #400, expiration 22Jan14
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 06:08:51 PM »
I've been trying to get my shoulder working for a couple years now myself... I know I can't pull my 60-something-pounder. I went to a chiropractor, and she assured me she could help me get a cross-bow permit.... She was not able to help my shoulder though.....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Spotted Bull

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 06:23:06 PM »
Quote from: "RussB"
prairie dog, I certainly don't want to hijack Bill's post, but I would like to see some pictures of that Osage Bamboo backed bow you've got, maybe in another thread?

Uncle Russ...

I've seen it...pretty!

Bill that's a sweet looking bow you have there too. I only pull a 30# myself. I tore my labrum when I rolled my car a few years ago and while it healed back up, it still doesn't like that high torque a bigger bow demands.

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 10:35:05 PM »
Russ,

I have a photo or two in this old thread.  
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingasso ... 60&t=17192
Steve Sells