Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Fusil-De-Chasse  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Koenig

• TMA Forum Member
Fusil-De-Chasse
« on: May 01, 2013, 10:32:28 AM »
Here is an India made Fusil-De-Chasse. Not the greatest workmanship but I think I can clean it up a bit. Does anyone know of the make or quality of the barrel. Any info would be appreciated.

Gary

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
Re: Fusil-De-Chasse
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:31:06 PM »
Well if the R.A. stands for the Rajasthan Armoury, this is a company that says it has been making muzzle loading barrels for use in India since 1959.  Your barrel was made January 10th, 1982.  The stamp that reads India was added later when that barrel was placed on a gun for export.  

I say IF the RA stands for that company as it is a standard letter stamp that is being used, so it would be easy to fake, but in your case I think it's legit..., my sergeant's carbine has the same markings.

The company says it began making muzzle loading arms for farmers to defend themselves from wild animals, and I'm guessing that the cost of a modern firearm was very high and/or as India had only been independent since 1947, perhaps modern rifles were prohibited.  

Note that some folks claim that importers of Indian guns refuse to say where they are made, the barrels are not marked, and they are made only for display.  Well if the barrel is made by this company it's clearly marked, and says when and where it was made, and it was made to shoot.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Canebrake Dave

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Fusil-De-Chasse
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:19:16 PM »
I bought one of these India made guns from Veteran Arms last summer. I know the proprietor and do some reenactments with him. What I've got is a 24 gauge. Makes one heck of a small game shot shooter and shoots patched .570 round ball straight and consistent enough that a 40 - 50 yard shot at a grown whitetail is totally acceptable. Planning to do a lot of hunting with my fusee this winter.