Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Jacob Dickert Build Progress  (Read 28280 times)

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
Re: Jacob Dickert Build Progress
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2015, 07:40:55 PM »
4L,
    VERY NICE! You have every right to be proud. :shake [/color]
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2015, 08:00:39 PM »
very nice

Offline 4-Liberty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2015, 09:00:49 AM »
Thanks gents!

Well, I just applied my fourth coat of Tru-Oil, so how do I know when enough is enough?
TMA Member #174

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2015, 10:20:35 AM »
Quote from: "4-Liberty"
Two coats of Aqua-Fortis, one coat of LMF walnut stain, two coats of Tru-Oil, steel wooled and wiped with an old t-shirt between each coat. Few more coats of tru-oil to go.

I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome!
 :rt th  :rt th
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2015, 03:46:08 PM »
Very nice, indeed.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #185 on: April 09, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »
Quote from: "4-Liberty"
Thanks gents!

Well, I just applied my fourth coat of Tru-Oil, so how do I know when enough is enough?

when it meets your liking  :hairy

Offline 4-Liberty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #186 on: April 10, 2015, 12:43:28 AM »
Okay, that's what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure. I know the finishing oil has two purposes: to make it visually appealing, and to add a protective barrier against the elements. I just wasn't positive if there was a minimum amount of coats that needed to be applied for that protection. I've heard of some guys applying 10+ coats!

Next I'm onto the barrel. I have the entire barrel draw-filed and draw-sanded down to 320 grit. I have yet to install the sights, but I was wondering if I can brown the barrel with the sights installed, or does it not matter?
Do I sand the lock with 320 grit before browning?
Also, I don't want the lock to perfectly match the browning on the barrel, in fact, I'd like it to be more of a "tarnished" dark-gray color. I've read that this can be obtained by browning the lock and then boil it once the browning is dried and rusted. Is this correct?
TMA Member #174

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #187 on: April 10, 2015, 09:05:29 AM »
A couple coats of oil and the stock will be sealed , depending on the oil of course .
Oils like linseed can take more . White tung I normally do 7-10 coats , not because that’s whats needed to seal the stock . Its more to create the finish im wanting .

As to your barrel .I would recommend installing the sights first . Then remove them and brown the barrel .  Then replace the sight .
 If you try and install after you  have browned the barrel  you take a good chance of messing up the browning while cutting the dovetails .

With your lock .  If your going to grey the lock , then you will need to file and sand the outside of the lock plate .  If you Brown , then boil , you will convert the red iron oxide to  black iron oxide. In other words if the whole lock plate is brown . When you boil it , the whole lock plate will turn black . If you card the  rust back  to only a very light covering . You will then have a light covering of black  in the areas you left the brown rust .
 If your wanting the French grey or a more grey used look  I would recommend a different process .
a) you can use a cold blue . Blue the plate , then  using steal wool , rubb the blue back tell you get the grey your looking for
b) Navel Jelly   spread on the plate will  give a grey discoloration. It can be used by itself or to remove the cold blue
c) a strong vinegar solution like ,white vinegar  , yellow mustard  , let on the lock , will form what call stain rust , which will stain the metal into a pattern or grey patina of sorts

Offline 4-Liberty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #188 on: April 10, 2015, 10:07:40 AM »
Is the rear sight typically left bright, or is that browned as well?
This is the sight I have:

I really like the color of the lock pictured below. Which of the processes that you described do you think would come closest to that that look?
TMA Member #174

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #189 on: April 10, 2015, 10:27:23 AM »
clean the sght up with a file and sand paper . then brown or black as you like .
 that lock , from what i can tell is  probably more of a rust black thats been carded back vs a  dark grey

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #190 on: April 10, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »
4-Liberty,

First, thanks for keeping this post going.  

I am simply amazed by your skills and talents.  You are doing impressive work and on your first build.  That rifle is going to be a thing of beauty.

Steve
Steve Sells

Offline 4-Liberty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #191 on: April 11, 2015, 09:29:59 AM »
Thank you, Prarie Dog! I've had a ton of help here along the way!

I assume the lock is browned disassembled by its individual parts, is this correct? Also, is the frizzen spring browned, or left as is?
TMA Member #174

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #192 on: April 11, 2015, 09:44:33 AM »
yep , take the lock apart . Be careful , don’t lose the fly.
  don’t brown the inside parts  . Myself I never brown a spring  .
  Depending on what type of browning  process your doing  you may want to rubb down the inside of the lock plate and face of frizzen with alittle wax  so as to keep those areas from rusting. If your using a  browning solution without a damp box then  that process may not be necessary. If you get any on  those areas you can just rub it off with fine emery paper  .

Offline 4-Liberty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #193 on: April 11, 2015, 09:54:15 AM »
I'll be using Birchwood Casey's cleaner/degreaser and Track's Tried & True Browning Reagent.
TMA Member #174

Offline Jackp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #194 on: April 25, 2015, 10:34:39 PM »
Thanks for this thread.

I am in the process of building a .54 cal Dickert. I've learned a lot from all of you here. I hate to see anyone make mistakes, but we all learn from them. It's a lot better to learn by seeing someone else mess up.  :lol sign . Thanks for being man enough to show yours failures along with your success .

Great job and thank again.

Jack